Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland 2676

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland 2676
    Posted: Feb 08 2023 at 8:06am
This was an unexpected found… 

It had been a long time search. For an early I-cut Baby, an original, as issuedWe still find untouched weapons around heresecretly hidden in old cabinets, cellars or attics. I have a few, but I was still waiting for an early early model.

End of december, I got itMy own Christmas gift !

So here we are with a very early 4-number Inland as issued, #2676 ! Barrel dated 7-42.

It was found last fall after an old man diedhis son didn’t want to keep it and left it to a famous french gunshop. He didn’t know much about itbrought back from Northern Africa a few decades ago by a father’s friendthen given to his fatherThat’s it. I can imagine with such a small number the Torch Operation, but of course we’ll never know!

Unfortunately, the sling swivel was missing, and the Baby has suffered from rust on the external parts and needed to be cleaned! Just the minimum cleaning! But inner parts are well preserved and it is perfectly fit to fire with!

All parts are as expectedwith markings and some special early stuff like the longer 300yd-leaf rear sight, S with serif, stock and hand-guard LA markings, grenade on trigger housing and hammer, or no spring recess!

Oiler is IS, mag is AI, both found with, I guess they’ve been going with the Baby for quite a long time…

The sling is not the original one, probably gone with the swivel, and the early ones are not very easy to findso this one will do the job… I have found an early swivel to replace the missing one.

Now, the pictures… Of course, datasheet is ready and will be sent soon!

Here is a link for a lot more pictures in original size…

https://app.box.com/s/gprpq5for972rmmq13dt9rjtm23mwqij

pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2023 at 10:39am
My mistake about the link, didn't go to the good pictures but to the resized ones for internet. All original pictures, total over 60, are being uploaded, shouldn't last too long to have all of them(no change to the link)...
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2023 at 11:37am
Nice find. Definitely salty!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2023 at 11:56am
Crusty and authentic-just the way I like them.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2023 at 1:42pm
I have always preferred my military weapons to look like they were just picked up off the battlefield….sort of. 
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2023 at 9:47pm
What a find! Enjoyed looking through all the pictures you uploaded.
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2023 at 6:29am
Stunning....alot of history right there
Al
pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 2:58am
Shooting Good, Shooting straight!!
I finally had some free time to try it yesterday morning !
200m, let’s have fun! 3x10 rounds.
So, the 300yds flip is as expected definitely too high! First 3 rounds out, I figured too high so I lowered quite a bit. I ended aiming about 15cm below the paper. Tried with the 100yds flip but not great.

So first 10, starting at 4, of course…

And last 10, doing good!
Didn’t have time to reload, so I used my best commercial ammo(and also the only one I could find lately…), PPU.

I had some doubt with the rust on the crown, but a good cleaning and it was fine then.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 8:38am
Very nice!

How large is the paper?
pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 8:52am
Thanks. The black part is 40cm wide (15,74 inches)
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 8:57am
Patrick, Awesome find! Though salty it is a great time capsule.
items of note,
No hieroglyphics on barrel flat, D J 44 and ord bomb.
You can see the nice bluing at the rear of barrel.
Another tall flip sight!
butt plate is square pattern. Some seem to think that the diagonal was purely early, yet we see both types throughout the first block and diamond scattered through up to the early 5 million block

expect the unexpected
168 Slide is not PI in a circle!

I would recommend getting a later extractor and spring/plunger if you are shooting it. The early ones are prone to flying out. That plunger is more rounded then I have ever seen.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by New2brass - Mar 12 2023 at 9:39am
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 9:46am
Originally posted by pchanu pchanu wrote:

In theory...
 with the 300 yard setting, one needs to aim 51 cm below center of black.
 with the 150 yard setting, aiming just at the top of the black should result in hits close to center.  

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 9:51am
Matt, Are you compensating for the earlier taller 300 yard sight? it is approximately 0.036 taller.

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 10:17am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Matt, Are you compensating for the earlier taller 300 yard sight? it is approximately 0.036 taller.

The ballistics in the graph are based on a Federal's current FMJ using 1990 fps at the muzzle.
It assumes the sights are set for that. 

It would be interesting to run the calculator with the lower fps of the early spec ammo to see how much difference it makes in the flight path. 

35Whelen did a path difference comparison for 1900fps vs 1990 fps at muzzle.
less the 1" at 100 yards, around 6" at 300 yards.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5139&PID=46714&title=range-results#46714

NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 5:39pm
Thank you for sharing. It's not every day that you have the opportunity to see a four digit Inland in original condition. It's unfortunate that this one was stored badly in the canvas case.
pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Patrick, Awesome find! Though salty it is a great time capsule.
items of note,
No hieroglyphics on barrel flat, D J 44 and ord bomb.
You can see the nice bluing at the rear of barrel.
Another tall flip sight!
butt plate is square pattern. Some seem to think that the diagonal was purely early, yet we see both types throughout the first block and diamond scattered through up to the early 5 million block

expect the unexpected
168 Slide is not PI in a circle!

I would recommend getting a later extractor and spring/plunger if you are shooting it. The early ones are prone to flying out. That plunger is more rounded then I have ever seen.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks!
I was indeed surprised by the plunger, I wasn’t expecting such shape, rounded and short compare to usual ones. 
I won’t be shooting with it very often, it is definitely a collector’s buy, not a shooter’s, but I will for sure user later parts for!

pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

Originally posted by pchanu pchanu wrote:

In theory...
 with the 300 yard setting, one needs to aim 51 cm below center of black.
 with the 150 yard setting, aiming just at the top of the black should result in hits close to center.  

Actually, not using the 100yds setting was more a question of comfort of aiming, the front sight hiding then almost completely the target at this distance, I couldn’t see the black! Reason why I reverted to the 300yds.

The target is 90cm high, I can see on your graph that with a 45cm distance from center to edge gives my aiming slightly below the edge is as expected.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 7:36pm
Makes sense. 

For what its worth as a comparison, the US Army qualification  (WW2)  target for 200 and 300 yards had a 20" black.   I can't recall if the field manual suggested the 300 yard sight for 200 yard shooting, but in low light especially it would make sense.
The more advanced courses used 40 inch tall silloute targets scored as hit or miss.  The goal shifted from bullseye type precision to making hits quickly and estimating range.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 10:12pm
To All,
See the picture of the Extractor IMG_0958.JPG in the photo link above, with it zoomed up over 400% does it appear just scratched or possibly cracked?

@Dan, I'm curious if the Plunger is a long stem that never had a modified or Birdsmouth cut as Marcus would say and has pounded it's way to the rounded shape.... Possible?

Julian Dated:
Also wonder if the stock has any green dating/marking inside the Op Slide channel ?

Black stains on stock:
I've had very good results getting rid of mineral water stains like seen near the buttplate on this stock using Bar Keepers Friend in a paste.

Thx for sharing this Carbine Thumbs Up

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 3:20am
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

To All,
See the picture of the Extractor IMG_0958.JPG in the photo link above, with it zoomed up over 400% does it appear just scratched or possibly cracked?

I did not notice any crack, I examined with magnifier, looking for markings and wear, but I may have missed it, will check that!

@Dan, I'm curious if the Plunger is a long stem that never had a modified or Birdsmouth cut as Marcus would say and has pounded it's way to the rounded shape.... Possible?

I also thought about that, as I was surprised. But it looks really rounded to me, not worn. Not sure it’s possible it could get rounded to that point, looking at img964 and 956.

Julian Dated:
Also wonder if the stock has any green dating/marking inside the Op Slide channel ?

I will check that too. Didn’t see any marking inside but I admit I didn’t look there 

Black stains on stock:
I've had very good results getting rid of mineral water stains like seen near the buttplate on this stock using Bar Keepers Friend in a paste.

Well, I guess I’ll leave it like this, don’t want to try and finally realize it was a big mistake… But thanks for the idea, I did n’y know that product!!

Thx for sharing this Carbine Thumbs Up

My pleasure! And more to come Wink

Charlie-P777
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>