Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Incoming Inland ‘43 M1: My first

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2018 at 8:33pm
Have you used the Extreme Cavitator in any animals yet? I did purchase a box from Underwood. Midway USA has the bullets for sale in case you were not aware. From their reviews I’m thinking it would drive thru any hog bones.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2018 at 8:42am
I've not stepped-off into exotic ammo. A FMJ or RNSP dispatches anything I shoot with the carbine. I am no longer a serious hunter and most of my shooting is coffee-cans at 25-yards anymore.Big smile I will eliminate a yard-varmint on occasion, but my 9MM M1 takes care of most of those.

Some folks shoot lead projectiles without issue, most folks avoid it. Some .308 projectiles simply won't work due to action dimensions. The vast majority would also recommend that you stay away from anybody's steel-case ammo.

Lots of tutorials on disassembly/assembly out there. Get that thing apart, see what you have and enjoy!
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2018 at 5:24pm
Re: spare parts I.e. firing pin, Recoil Spring, extractor, ejector, etc: are USGI parts needed or are Fulton Armory new parts plug n play? My M1 has two Inland mags. Are the Inlands picky on after market mags? Thx
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2018 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by kwesi1 kwesi1 wrote:

Ok. I get the shimming concept. I need to watch the vidro’s On disassembling the M1 and removing & stripping the bolt. BTW: do we have a dedicated reloading forum?

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/safety-accuracy-shooting-ammunition-care-and-maintenance_forum54.html

If there is enough interest we can add a subforum and move pertinent posts there.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2018 at 6:48pm

Re: spare parts I.e. firing pin, Recoil Spring, extractor, ejector, etc: are USGI parts needed or are Fulton Armory new parts plug n play? My M1 has two Inland mags. Are the Inlands picky on after market mags? Thx

USGI is always the best option for spare parts, with that said Fulton Armory is a reputable company and there should be no issues using their parts. Don't know 1st hand about aftermarket magazines, but many on here swear by the Korean made 15 rounders.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2018 at 8:53pm
W5USMC: thank you. I’ve been searching for USGI parts. I haven’t yet found a source that carries a good inventory.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 6:32am
It will take some time to become savvy on what’s genuine and what’s not. It’s easy to find out-of-spec and fake parts. Once you build your knowledge base, you can even find surplus parts on places like ebay. Genuine USGI carbine parts are fairly plentiful. Your immediate need as spares may be limited to a fresh USGI spec. main-spring and bolt internals like a firing-pin, extractor, spring and plunger. Once you pull that bolt apart, you will discover how easy it is for those little bolt parts to run away and hide.

Just take your time, learn what you can and don't get caught-up in purchasing things you may never need.

Edited by floydthecat - Oct 16 2018 at 7:49am
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 7:53am

Welcome to the forum.  This is the place to be to learn all about M1 Carbines!

I have had good luck buying parts from Fulton Armory.  I also bought my USGI Bolt Assembly/Disassembly tool from them.  I would highly recommend the tool if your plan on taking your bolt apart for inspection and cleaning.

I have also bought some parts from Amherst Depot and from private sellers on the CMP "For Sale" forum.

Have fun.
Semper Fi, Bruce
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 8:08am
I simply don’t have issues with mags. I have the recent manufacture Korean mags, various USGI mags and mags that I have no idea who made them and they all work. One thing you may want to consider are 5-round mags. Some locales limit hunting-mags to 5.
DO NOT purchase a Universal 4-5 round plastic mag....they don’t fit. 5-round mags do turn up, but usually at 2X the cost of 15-rounders. 5-rounders make the little gun even easier to store and carry.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 8:46am
I'll echo what floydthecat said about magazines.  I shoot my Rock-Ola on a regular basis.  I shoot Remington UMC 110 gr. FMJ ammo and have never had a misfire, failure to load or stovepipe.   I use Korean 15 round mags and they perform flawlessly.  I also like the fact that when the last round is fired, the mag "locks" the bolt open to let you know you are empty.

Enjoy.
Semper Fi, Bruce
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 10:42am
Thanks for the suggestions, links and guidance! No magazine restrictions to hunt hogs or coyotes in TX. I’m ready to purchase the bolt tool but why the disparity in the price? Sarai is the lowest non USGI @$22 while other’s up to $40. I’ve been on EBay but it’s limited especially new old stock. One seller offering “new USGI” recoil springs but I suspect they are after maket. Hmmm. I’ll call Fulton and the others.
TxHamJello View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxHamJello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 11:47am
Hey Kwesi1, welcome to the forum.  Also a newbie here, also in DFW area.  Thanks to your questions, I learned a bunch more today . . .  thank you and welcome!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 1:15pm
The USGI bolt tools will be more expensive. Commercial bolt tools have came down in price. Purchase the $22 one and you will likely never wear it out. Learn how to use it, be careful with it and you will be fine. Spare pawls turn-up occasionally and that’s about all you can break on it.
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 1:50pm
Numrich Gun Parts has a maintenance tool kit that includes bolt, trigger spring, and piston wrench tools. Their part # is 928640 and list for $31.45.
The bolt tool is commercially made and works just fine.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Paul1262 Paul1262 wrote:

Numrich Gun Parts has a maintenance tool kit that includes bolt, trigger spring, and piston wrench tools. Their part # is 928640 and list for $31.45.
The bolt tool is commercially made and works just fine.

That's a great price for all three. I would hope to never need a piston-nut wrench and I think the trigger-spring tool is a PITA to use, but for that price, I'd take the package. A boy never has too many toys in his chest, whether you use them or not.

I think we need to emphasize here for the newbie....a gas piston should not be tinkered with. If it's stuck, soaking in the correct lubricant will usually free it up. "If it ain't broke....don't fix it"!
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 3:16pm
Paul1262: this newbie appreciates all the tips!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 3:24pm
More than 1 gas cylinder has been cracked by an over-tightened castle nut. Thank goodness I picked-up on that early. I am one of those guys that likes to check all the lug-nuts for tightness. This nut is better left alone.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 3:59pm
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 7:44pm
New2brass, thank you for the instructional link and clippings.
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2018 at 12:22am
Update: I picked her up tonight. My RO said it was fine to fire it and offered to do the first 5 rounds so I said ok. I then fired about 7 more. He said he believed it saw a lot of action. But said it needed a new recoil spring. I think he based that on the ease of drawing the bolt back. No pics yet but I noticed the following markings:

Barrel behind front sight: Underwood 10-44
Front sight: EU
Under rear sight: IN
Above rear receiver screw: Standard Products
Under butt stock: Z ( I think the stock was replaced )
Barrel band: SI
Underneath the trigger guard: 1
Barrel: Possibly an O?
Rear sight: I.R. Co.
Trigger housing: Right Side: M (underscore) to the right of the safety.

So no IN barrel! I did remove cosmoline from a few areas (front sight and inside the trigger guard).   I obviously have a mix-master (Frankenstein).

Edited by kwesi1 - Oct 17 2018 at 1:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12