Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IBM Rebuild Markings (RRA rebuild)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IBM Rebuild Markings (RRA rebuild)
    Posted: Nov 11 2020 at 11:17am
Does it matter if the "P" stamp on a rebuild is enclosed in a box or just appears without the box? My RRA rebuilt IBM has two "P" stamps on the pistol grip--both are enclosed in a box as in the photo here (copied from "Post War Ordinance Ops" on this forum).
The PWOO page uses the terms "front of hand grip" and "bottom of hand grip" which sort of confuses me as both pictures seem to show the "P" stamped near what I would call the "bottom". Here's the other PWOO photo.

The stamps on my IBM are located (in my words), one near the trigger-guard end of the grip and the other near the bottom of the grip. Both are enclosed in a box. Perhaps I'm being anal about this and my "P" at the bottom of the grip is simply the IBM proof stamping, but if I have learned anything about markings it's that virtually NOTHING is insignificant and, often as not, they are a bit imprecise.

Any help will be appreciated. H-
Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things... You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less.
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2020 at 12:41pm
Those are rebuild P's. Some manufacturers Used a circle P on the flat bottom of the pistol grip on early production carbines. If I recall correctly IBM never used the circle P on the bottom of the grip.
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2020 at 1:46pm
Did some of the IBM's not have a 'P' stamp at all ???, mine does not have one.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2020 at 2:08pm
I was unable to find any I.B.M. Carbine's of the Month (COM) in my Carbine Club Newsletters that were stamped "P" anywhere on the grip by the prime contractor. Yours is a rebuild proof stamp.

(Ref SS)
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2020 at 2:32pm
The requirement was dropped before IBM delivered. Inland must have gotten that memo late as they continued with the P for a while

this is the bottom of the grip

The post war ops page is pointing out that some manufacturers used a P on the bottom of the grip.
The link above shows rebuild P on bottom of the grip in addition to a P in circle.

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2020 at 2:32pm
Some IBM stocks have been seen with a small letter stamped on the bottom pistol grip of unknown origin. As noted, the ones in the OP's pictures are rebuild proofs.
halbert View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2020 at 11:10am
Thanks for the input. I suppose then the "P" in the square box is possibly a rebuild marking. Once more, this confuses me a bit. My IBM has other rebuild markings on the LEFT SIDE OF THE STOCK; a very crisp one (RRA) in the area just in front of the sling/oiler slot and the other, a very light one (also RRA), in the area of the of the receiver. I feel quite sure that the good folks at Red River Arsenal weren't looking for extra work and just decided to place redundant markings on the carbine. Logically (taking into consideration the Carbine Club PWOO write up) I'm thinking that at least one of the "P" stamps, perhaps both, are proof stampings.

This brings another question to mind. Did rebuild arsenals proof their rebuilds? I've not read anything I can remember about such a possibility, but then I certainly haven't read all the material available on this forum. That's the beauty of discussion forums. It's a bit like doing a computer search, only the membership plays the role of the computer.

I apologize for the lack of photos. I'm a bit rusty; don't do camera phones (shux, I'm still using a flip-phone and it drives the wife nuts!). Alas, my old Olympus camera is ailing. kro1970 makes a good point I hadn't considered in my descriptions. To "Why Carbines?" post; my IBM has NO STAMPS whatever on the "flat" of the grip (which, I suppose, could be considered the "bottom" of the grip). My "P" stamps, if holding the carbine in the firing position, would both fall under the center joints of your right-hand fingers (assuming you're right handed--I'm a lefty)

The art of verbal description is really and truly an "art". I've just gott'a get my Olympus running or cave to "one of them new-fangled I-phones! Wink H-
Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things... You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less.
halbert View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2020 at 11:30am
OOps, I overlooked "New2brass link to stock info. I'm a bit late to the dance and now see that there ARE INDEED rebuild proof markings. Sorry and thanks to "New2brass". H-

Edited by New2brass - Nov 12 2020 at 12:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply