Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IBM odd serial numbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44 30-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IBM odd serial numbers
    Posted: Jun 23 2018 at 2:07pm
Have a IBM / AO carbine I have just picked up in the last week. Very happy with the rifle. The serial number is intriguing, 38786xx, look at the first 8, it is either a broken 8 or a E. Looking to see if others have seen odd letters or numbers in a carbine serial? Does someone in a similar IBM serial range have the same oddity? Does this affect the value either way for collectors. 
Craig

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2018 at 3:24pm
44 30-06
Welcome to the forum.
I think you'll find this post interesting and believe you should re-post your AO-IBM there also:

Cheers,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2018 at 3:33pm
Congrats on your IBM. Many questions about the rest of it.

Most of the IBM serial numbers I've seen are relatively well stamped. Sometimes they are misaligned or partially stamped. IMO, in their original configuration or not such "imperfections" do not affect value.

Here is one of my AO's.

44 30-06 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44 30-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2018 at 5:46pm
Charlie-Painter777 thanks for the link, what a great read and lookie what I found on it:

Answered my question. 200+ receivers apart, probably both on the same day. 
Nice receiver m1a1fan, looks like we are from the same neck of the woods. 
Craig
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2018 at 7:21pm
Thanks to Painter777 for that link, and Chris Albright for posting all of those IBM/AO receiver pics.

CCNL 329-IBM update and CCNL 345-IBM Update Addendum have more information about what to expect with IBM and IBM/AO carbines (rear sight types, IBM barrels (dated or not), barrel bands, etc...).

Yup, think we are in the same neck of the woods. Nice to know there is now another carbine collector around here.
 Post Reply Post Reply