Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IBM Carbine Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rpdamron2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IBM Carbine Questions
    Posted: Jan 04 2020 at 4:54pm
Good Afternoon,

I’m a new member looking to learn more about carbines. I recently discovered a carbine which has been in the family for years on my wife’s side. We are not interested in selling, just hoping to learn more about what we have. Any advice on this carbine is appreciated. 

- I am curious if it is correct
- What kind of condition you think it is in 
- What some of the markings are
- If the sling is authentic
- How much it could be worth for insurance purposes. 

Thanks all.  Looking forward to the responses. 
Robert 

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2020 at 5:52pm
Hi Robert and welcome to the Carbine Collectors Club Forum.

Here's my take based on the pictures you've posted so far:

The only thing that stands out regarding correctness is that the original stock was switched out for a Saginaw stock at some point (RSG in the sling well, SG recoil plate). Also, it's wearing a Winchester hand guard which is not original. The S'G' sling swivel might have followed the stock when it was switched. I could not find records of it being integrated to I.B.M. These could have been undocumented field or in-theater changes and in my opinion should be left as is. If it were done as part of a post war rebuild, there would be other changes made. The high wood S'G' stock it's wearing is a very desirable part from a collectors perspective. It just needs to be on a S'G' carbine.

The hammer is marked ".U." for Underwood but is probably original. Underwood provided tens of thousands of hammers to I.B.M. as part of the parts integration activity occurring among the manufacturers.

The magazines are somewhat a mix of manufacturers ("AI"=Inland, "IU"=Underwood, "UQ"=Quality Hardware).

Other than what I've noted, everything else on the carbine looks correct. It looks to be in good shape. Assuming a decent bore and no import marks I would expect it to bring $1000-1500 in my part of the carbine universe.
JackP
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2020 at 5:54pm
Your trigger housing, bolt, slide, sear, front and rear sight are IBM. Your stock is Saginaw along with barrel band swivel. Hammer is Underwood. Handguard is Winchester. Not correct but not in too bad of shape.Sling looks fine. Mags are Quality Hardware, Underwood, and Inland.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2020 at 11:08pm
@robert - Welcome to the club. Nice looking carbine. A minor detail...the sling swivel appears to be installed backwards. The IN-B marking on the rear sight appears to be double stamped as does the PR-B marked magazine catch. Not sure if that adds value, but some collectors like that kind of thing.

Thanks for sharing part of your family's history with the club.
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2020 at 11:41am
very interesting cartouche--is the type 2 split flame cross cannon-probably only used in apps July thru sept of 43 at Grand Rapids Saginaw plant-the KV-S'G' probably just mixed in at factory as the IBM would have had KV-B--your stock is worth more as a Saginaw then a IBM so you can leave as is and smile or search for nice IBM high wood and then search for Saginaw S'G' for your stock--smile either way
Rpdamron2 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rpdamron2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2020 at 4:31pm
Thank you for all the information regarding this carbine. I am looking forward to sharing it with the family. 
 Post Reply Post Reply