Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IBM Barrel markings...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IBM Barrel markings...
    Posted: Apr 08 2018 at 7:08pm
Greetings!

I have a non-dated IBM barrel with a (seems to be) a star and "A1" on top of the chamber:

A1 

I'll try to post a picture later...

Any ideas of the meaning? I haven't been able to find any online reference to it...
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2018 at 8:59pm
Does it look anything like the 11th picture as shown here?

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=97483
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2018 at 10:45pm
Possibly marked FAT, Italian rebuild as in

:D
Draken View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 7:56am
Let see how this goes

It looked better in phone screen... The 1 could be a partial T but I see no signs of the F or anything under the A1.

Also, I've not found any traces of a proof mark...
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 8:35am
Not a very good picture there Draken, hard to tell which end is up. Regardless if your stamp and star look anything like the one in the cmp link above, then it is an Italian FAT stamp, found on some of the Italian returns that the CMP sold between 2007-2010. Here is a picture of one of mine where the F can hardly be seen.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Draken View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 9:20am
Thanks!

Yes, the picture looks terrible in the PC ... It was a quicky taken this morning. I’ll do a better job tonight when I get home.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 11:24am
Here's another example on my QHMC barrel. BTW, welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

JackP
Draken View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 6:50pm
Thanks for the welcome!

Better picture, I hope... Anyway, I'm mailing a letter to the CMP tomorrow to see if this one came through them

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 10:19am
In 2007 the Italian Returns were at the CMP for sorting. Several Club members went to help with the arduous task of sorting and checking.
Here are pictures from Ron Dalhamer 

CMP 2007 Italian carbines  shipped bolt-less slathered in grease, bolts sent separately. Bayonets were delayed slightly (HA! HA!) 

Seems to me at this point in sorting there were a decent amount of IP bolts!

And check out the tiger stripe on this potbelly

Notice the serial numbers stamped on some of the stocks. The Israeli also did this seen forward of the slingwell and linear to stock. I do not know if the Israelis stamped this way as well.

I think the serial gives the carbine a bit of "I was there" provenance!

Thanks to Ron for sharing!

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 12:15pm
Those are really neat pictures, would have loved to be a part of that sorting operation. Of the ten Carbines that I got from the CMP back then, one of them (my Inland), has the serial # on the stock like that.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Draken View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 9:51pm
Nice picture... I wrote to the CMP to research my serial number and they sold it indeed in 2007
 Post Reply Post Reply