Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IAI Cabine M888, and stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10thMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IAI Cabine M888, and stuff
    Posted: Sep 16 2018 at 5:53pm
Hi, first off I would like to say after years of drooling over tv/film and print of M1 Carbines, I own my very own. A 1944ish referb National Postal Meter, Rock Island refurb, Martin barrel.  Wonderful condition, great shooting rifle.  Just tickled by this plinker.  So I am now looking at a IAI (Israeli Arms) M88 Carbine.  First what is this? I see some info saying it was made in TX, but it was a Israeli issued rifle.  Is this a refurb, new make with old parts or just a commercial make.  And are they any good?  I have the above National Postal Meter which I would like to keep as a display and I am looking to get another as a shooter.  Any help on the IAI M888?  Thanks and this is a great forum.   

10th Mountain
Above the Best
Pull up, ground gets small. Push forward, ground gets big. Lets Fly
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2018 at 6:18pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico! Congratulations on snagging a NPM!

You can find more info on IAI carbines here:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_iai.html
JackP
10thMountain View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10thMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2018 at 6:23pm
Hey JackP,
Thanks for the quick reply.  I did find some info on the IAI.  Funny it really does not have anything to do with Israel. Unless its in Texas.   The one Im looking at looks great, hope it runs the same. Not really sure of its reputation at this point.

Thanks

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2018 at 7:00pm
It should be okay. The barrel has a good reputation for accuracy and all the other parts are interchangeable with USGI, so maintaining it should be no problem. If the cast receiver holds up, and it should, you will be good to go.
JackP
meckanic View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meckanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2018 at 7:43pm
IAI is a civilian manufacturer no longer in business.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2018 at 8:15pm
Hmm, family is still active, do not know if business is defunct.

A large amount of those unfinished receivers are out there and one company was producing with the IAI marks. Since I believe sold off to another  company in that area and produce with theos receivers on a limited basis.

At local shows I see the unfinished receivers. Picked one up as a paper weight.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2018 at 8:26pm
10thMountain, hopefully member swamprat will add to this thread, if not, I suggest you reach out to him via PM as he may have some good info about IAI M888 carbines.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Lancer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 2:33am
I've got an IAI M888 in 5.7MMJ. Looks and feels just like a standard M1 carbine except for being a bit barrel heavy because of the small bore. The ones I've seen including my own have a bunch of re-finished GI parts, mine has QHMC type 4 trigger housing for example, so most if not all GI parts will fit.
  I've had mine for years but never shot the thing even though I've got ammunition and enough material on hand to hand load 1000 rounds. Just lazy I guess.
  As soon as the 5.7 came on the market I had to have one and bought it with all walnut furniture.
  There are a few oddities, for example the front sight is held on with a roll pin rather than a machined pin like a carbine. Taking out the roll pin can and will damage your sight pin removal tool as they are usually a bit too small to push out the roll pin but a slightly larger punch will work.
  Lance
swamprat View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swamprat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 11:01am
The barrels should be good to go.
All USGI components are compatible.

I don’t recall ever having a gun sent back *ever* for a receiver problem.
Usually it something all missed by the people in assembly (up to 14 full time smiths at one point) with shoddy quality small parts supplied by contractor.

I had and have no affiliation with IAI, only that our shop was responsible for assembly and warranty.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10thMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2018 at 2:02pm
Wow I have a horror story on this gun!  Just went to inspect it and found out it had a upper receiver failure at some point in the past. Upper left side just behind the bolt lug when closed, had broken off and then brazed back on!  blob:null/e61d2849-2d0d-447e-9310-b5f2068ea851Could not believe that  a "Big Name" sporting goods store did not catch this and pull it  from their stock.  I told this to the salesman and he just looked at me and asked if I still wanted it!
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10thMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2018 at 2:04pm
Thanks Swamprat and all those who replied with information.  Great forum for info!  Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply