Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homework Assignment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homework Assignment
    Posted: Oct 19 2020 at 9:12pm
Hopefully, those participating in popular online auctions sites are looking closely at the 5 or 6 provided pictures carefully. Even that which appears really early can have signs of a visit to the arsenal.

Not sure where others start when doing a carbine eval, but the dovetail is a good place to start.

Failure to do so can, among other things, cause one’s portfolio to crater.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2020 at 2:37pm
I was looking over a mixer Rock-Ola on GB the other night and noticed an odd to me marking on the rear Type II sight.

Has the Springfield SA along with the H in the shield stamped on the right side.
Any thoughts so I don't have to spend the evening combing thru the CCNL's ?

GB Auction picture # 7

Rock-Ola M1 Carbine .30 Carbine-img-6

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2020 at 3:34pm
@Charlie. the SA, Hemphill sights have been discussed on here before, see link below as well as CCNL 335-4. Here is a pic of one of mine.

Edited by New2brass - Oct 20 2020 at 4:39pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2020 at 5:02pm
I wish I had 1 key that I could hit as my:
'Thank You Wayne' reply. Would sure save me a lot of time.

I seen  this one late the other night and never recall seeing one marked like it before.
First thought was a left over Hemphill that became a surplus part at Springfield.
How else could you explain it ?

I'm hoping I didn't pull this topic out in to the weeds.

As far as Dovetail staking keep in mind that- 
L&S offers 'Elimination of Stake Marks' listed in their Catalog under - Carbine Restoration Work Available.

Charlie-P777
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2020 at 5:35pm
Here is some stake mark elimination courtesy of the notorious STB.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2020 at 11:32pm
Not on GB though I could use a 3k pair of black gloves and freshly aged grease.

Why deal with what might be a shill or proxy?

Makes one not want to bid.

No sale yet as it is still early.

Think my view count is at least 1000.

Pictures are fuzzy like squinting to see from the beach far inland.

Perhaps I'm just seeing things or what I've seen before?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2020 at 8:03pm
I am failing at this homework Ted, Can't seem to find the carbine that you are talking about. I guess I need more clues.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2020 at 10:09pm
Wayne,

No such thing as failing when trying.

The first sentence is joking around, a GB seller and Dave T. reference all rolled into one.
The last sentence is me hoping I am right without posting a link and breaking the forum rules.

The clues are in sentences 2-5. Each sentence has a one word clue. The location of the clue in each sentence is the same. When in doubt align right. Read vertically.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2020 at 11:07pm
Who has time to play games?
If you have a question or some point to make , please just make it.
JMHO. Confused
Don
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2020 at 11:34pm
m1a1fan, Got it now and was looking at that one earlier but your first sentence was throwing me off, I kept searching for black gloves. Big smile
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 1:22am
Originally posted by 03manV 03manV wrote:

Who has time to play games?
If you have a question or some point to make , please just make it.
JMHO. Confused

Thank You Don.
As my Father used to say- "Don't stand behind the bushes and mumble, just spit it out.... G Damn it"

Ch-P777
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 8:05am
There's too many online auction carbines for sale to go looking for the one needle in a haystack based a literal word cipher as the main clue(s). I agree with Charlie, get straight to the point.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 1:09pm
But there is only one Inland serial# 1000 listed on proxibid. Think the OP is just trying to have a little fun, lighten up guys. I know I don't have anything better to do, I'm retired! It's either search the internet for a carbine or cut firewood for me, not a tough choice. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 2:08pm
Not upset Wayne,
Just want to see it. May be interested and the clock is ticking......

Thx,

Ch-P777
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 5:45pm
Thanks Wayne's, you're spot on in assessing my motivation...a bit of fun and sheer boredom as the supply of M1 Carbine BB guns is currently low or not worth the effort.

All comments are welcome as they satisfy the definition of participation. Also appreciate those who satisfied the definition of work in homework with effort. Gotta sell the cow before someone figures out the milk is free.

The clock is ticking and based on the bid history, my original assessment might be cratering before my very eyes. The current bid is probably close to the sum total value of the parts, or maybe just a bit under for value sake.

It will be exciting to see how things turn out.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 7:51pm
Surely a carbine like this deserves more than 6 pictures. You can't see the money shots or any internals. Why describe the early sling well markings and not show them ?
Who wrote up the description ?
IMO a 1/4 of the write up comes off as sorta negative.

I started trying to read the 'Terms of Sale' but it would take the better part of the evening and feel like my lawyer should be briefing me as I read it.

Pretty obvious I'm new to this auction style / house. Does it end in 1 day 17hrs or is there live bidding after that?

IMHO, when looking at the Estimated sale window of $1200 to $1500 , it must just be a low ball to hook em in. That should be a bigger window more like $1500 - $1800+.
Seriously Commercials are fetching nearly 1K on GB and Import Gi's more.

Not impressed with the auctions promo but I truly hope you get fair value from it.
They'll make their 18+% and then some if you read the 'Terms of Sale'.

Good Luck to you.

Charlie-P777

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 9:00pm
In this auction, once the clock runs down, live bidding starts. Some will do the clock rundown method with a timer reset much shorter than GB. Some provide sound and/or video and others provide nothing. Haven’t bothered to read the Terms for this auction as my interest is only as previously stated.

You’ve picked out a lot of common auctioneer hallmarks. Things like no details, pictures that zoom into blurry vision, vague descriptions, no matching pictures or what isn’t shown. Local auction also like to post a single teaser pics to get potential buyers to show up. For me at least, that’s perfect as I want to look at something in person.

The auction buyers premium has been steadily climbing and I’ve seen it high as 28% which is loan shark territory.

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2020 at 6:15pm
M1A1fan,
Are you Happy ?
I thought it was a nice run.

Ch-P777
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2020 at 6:25pm
I thought it would go higher than $2600. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2020 at 8:43pm
For those interested in having a look, here’s the link:

With shipping and the juice....north of 3k. Thought it might go for 3-ish at the hammer, but prices were all over the place today.

Never hurts to ask for additional pictures if an in person inspection isn’t possible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>