Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holy Grail Stumbled Upon Yesterday

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lastfrontier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holy Grail Stumbled Upon Yesterday
    Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 10:43pm
Thanks for adding me to the group!  Forgive my newbie attempt to attach photos to the post - hopefully the links will work...

I stopped in to a well known gun store that I visit occasionally in Anchorage, AK just to look around.  There were two M1 Carbines on the rack behind the counter.  When I asked about them, the clerk said that one was a "Springfield M1 Carbine"...  I could tell by the finish appearance that it was a GI issue, so I asked to look at it.

As expected, the rear sight was covering most of the roll mark on the receiver so I used my cell phone flashlight to get a better look.  When I saw IRW peeking out of the left side and SEN on the right side my heart jumped into my throat and reached for my wallet immediately. It was an IRWIN-PEDERSEN!!!

The story that I was told was that a 90-something year old woman had brought these in on consignment for sale after her husband had died.  This makes me wonder if he was a WWII veteran - and how he came to own this rare gem.

The other M1 Carbine on the rack was a typical Inland that had been refinished in bluing.

Edited by lastfrontier - Feb 17 2021 at 11:33pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 11:12pm
Like to see it, but there are no pics on those links unless there's some log in process.
Better to use IMGUR and put them all on one page of their site.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
lastfrontier View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lastfrontier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 11:37pm
I was successful in getting one photo viewable.  Not an easy process here...
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 11:50pm
Cool. Is that four 7s in the serial? If you let me know the serial I'll check for the next nearest ones in my data base.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lastfrontier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 11:52pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 7:16am
Thanks. Have to get my other machine out today that has the data base to check. Pretty sure I have one close to it.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 8:56am
Lastfrontier, welcome to the forum. Yes, indeed, you have a rare one. Big smile
We will wait impatiently for more photos. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 8:59am
Looks like I have 16 other 777 serials. The nearest s 612 and 742.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lastfrontier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 9:15am
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 9:34am
Hello and welcome.  Nice to see that hidden gems are still out there.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 9:43am
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

I've recorded several original IP's with Underwood barrels in the same date range so it's probably the original barrel.

(Ref SS)

Edited by jackp1028 - Feb 18 2021 at 11:05am
JackP
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 9:56am
Usually the barrel dates for the range are 2-3 months later. Usually, not definitely. 
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 3:39pm
I hate to do this, but I'm going to pop somebody's bubble. IPs are far from the rarest of the rare when it comes to carbines. It is estimated that roughly 35000 IPs were produced by Saginaw Gear Grand Rapids. Very few of the line-out carbines even come close to that figure. Even the Inland X-suffix or the Winchester X-suffix carbines are far rarer. Yes IPs are hard to find. They are scarce, but not rare. I have a National postal meter that is far less common. It is an IBM line-out. But what makes it even rarer is the fact that it is an AO subcontract IBM receiver.  Even that isn't truly rare. There are plenty of other marking variants that are rarer still. The more you learn about carbines, the more easily you will recognize the truly rare ones.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 6:00pm
I do love those 3 - 7's !

I'd work that shop owner for the Ladies phone number.
Wonder if that IP seen service while the Japanese attempted their take over during the Battle of the Aleutian Islands- June 1942 - August 1943 ?

Charlie-Painter777  

Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 8:22pm
Was the Inland polished and blued or just a blue black color?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lastfrontier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 8:45pm
polished and blued
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2021 at 8:52pm
Some of the Bavarian/Austrian occupation carbines were polished and blued. others just blued, some not refinished.

Some collectors search out them

Post Reply Post Reply