The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, I’m new here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bungalow Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi, I’m new here
    Posted: Apr 05 2020 at 11:30pm
Hi everyone, I recently registered after lurking here a while and soaking up knowledge. I own a gen 3 Universal carbine that I bought secondhand a couple of years ago, but I’ve been a carbine fan ever since I was a boy — my dad had a milsurp carbine, and just getting a glimpse of it was special to me. I know the Universals aren’t considered GI quality but mine is a good shooter and I appreciate that commercial versions are OK here. 

I’m a hunter and a shooter, not really a collector, but I gravitate toward sporterized versions of milsurp classics. I hunt with a Springfield 1903, a Spanish Mauser in 7x57, and a Steyr Mannlicher 95/30 in 8x56 in addition to the carbine. The little .30 carbine round is perfect for javelina hunting in the desert. 

I’ve modified my Universal with Wolff springs, GI mags, a polished feed ramp and recently a wood handguard to replace the metal heat shield (which I always found unattractive). I look forward to hanging out more here. 

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2020 at 11:42pm
Welcome to the forum, love to see any M1 carbine being used to hunt with. Long ago I used to own a Spanish Mauser in 7x57, fell in love with that caliber and now my favorite deer rifle is a Ruger #1 in 7x57.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2020 at 8:50am
Welcome. Do you mind sharing the first 3 of your serial number to help with a research project here? There's a block in the 415,000 range where two identically cracked receivers were found in one day. I believe they're within 1000 numbers of each other (from memory). And everyone can post about later Universal serials observed that are kaboomed to me or on another thread.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Bungalow Bill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bungalow Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Welcome. Do you mind sharing the first 3 of your serial number to help with a research project here?
Mine is 344xxx. Happy to help out with (and to read about) any research projects. I don’t know much about the origins of my carbine — I bought it from a guy who had inherited it, and he thought the fouling in the barrel was cosmoline, which he took to mean the carbine had never been fired before, despite the obvious wear to the bolt etc. 

Here’s a shot with the wood handguard. Any tips on getting a better match with the stock, without stripping everything down and restaining/refinishing, would be appreciated. 

Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2020 at 9:49pm
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see a hunter using milsurp firearms and enjoying his carbines. 
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2020 at 3:11pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from your neighbor in New Mexico!
JackP
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image