Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hey Jim - Bavarian Blank Firing Adapter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drill Sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey Jim - Bavarian Blank Firing Adapter
    Posted: May 21 2017 at 5:10pm
Jim,

I hope you peruse these pages, as I lost many email addresses in my latest crash; and yours was among them.

In any event, I have a 'Blank Firing Adapter (BFA) as is shown on your Bavarian site. I purchased it many years ago and just put it away. Along with the device came another part, for which I have no explanation. I believe that it is part of the device.

Do you know if this is part of the BFA (possibly a deflector of some type), and if so, how it is used?

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 7:02pm
any markings on the deflector?
Drill Sergeant View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drill Sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 10:14pm
No, sir. No markings at all.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 12:28pm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-Carbine-brass-deflector-/172689013516?hash=item2835113b0c:g:8uIAAOSw32lYzyos
It definitely is a part of the adapter, I found a photo of it on a web site showing those two parts together, says it's German made for the M1 carbine, $60. That  is  all I can contribute to this subject.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drill Sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 12:34pm
Hey Charles,

Thanks so much. Good job! I was not able to find a photo that showed the additional part.

That's exactly what I have. I'm thinking that the additional piece is a fired case deflector of some sort, but not sure.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 1:06pm
That was my though as well.I've seen a "fired case deflected" on an M1 before but it was installed on the left side next to the breech. Chances are some one will see this and clear it up.
Been fun chatting with you.
Charles
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 1:16pm
the deflector clips on the rear sight.

the German ones I believe were marked. (edit, I do not specifically see that the breech shield was marked)
Unmarked are US made but do not think issue. possibly a reproduction. (see two posts down)
that BFA should only be used with the red plastic blanks and never the *USGI blanks* 

there was the possibility of powder build up in the chamber area and the deflector was more of a flash shield to protect the shooter if it was to ignite.

There were several CCNLs on those items. Information is also in War Baby 2 page 793.

** if there was no USGI blank fire device then why USGI blanks?  

What I have not seen was this device (deflector) attached to a carbine. Think you can take a Pic?

Edited by New2brass - Jan 19 2023 at 7:43pm
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drill Sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 1:32pm
this one is a 'flat header' - that's when you slap your forehead with the heel of your hand saying somehing like, "I shoulda' thought of that". 

War Baby page 793. It is indeed a brass deflector.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 3:32pm

CCNL 378 has info that BFA was made by NWM, a Dutch company. It was copied by HF co in Pennsylvania.

War Baby two was published in 1993
CCNL 384 which was published in 10-2015 features an American Rifleman article from Sept 66.  Points out it is actually a Breech Shield, not a case deflector 

It then points out that is was discussed in CCNL 14 from 1977 by Bill Ricca. That is when these came into the USA in quantity. It states that it is a Breech Shield and explains that the plastic rounds did not have enough pressure to seat well and could get hot gasses blowing back.

With that I would like to add a breech shield to my BFA if anyone knows where it can be found. Even greater would be some of the blanks!

So basically WB2 reported what it was though to be at the time. WB3 has tons of corrections for 1 and 2 but do not see (yet) that it was actually called a breech shield in WB3
 Post Reply Post Reply