Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with Gas Piston Nut staking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Gas Piston Nut staking
    Posted: May 15 2017 at 8:37pm
The gas piston nut stake marks on my CMP mixmaster don't aligned with the nut indents.  (Looks like one partial?) I'm guessing it was probably replaced at the CMP.  I would appreciate some feedback if it's OK as is.

Thanks

bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 10:11pm
From what I can see it does appear very little of the punch mark is holding the nut in place.
I would make sure the nut is tight, then re-stake it properly and be done with it.
Just had a recent new to me carbine, poorly staked as yours appears to be, and it became loose after just firing a few magazines.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 10:51pm
The gas piston nuts on the carbines that I shoot most often are no longer staked, I usually don't shoot more that a couple hundred rounds at a time and I check the nuts when cleaning, I have not had any come loose,  I would imagine if that is your concern you could use some Lok-Tite blue on the threads.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 12:33pm
The nut was tight as is so I gave it a smidgen of a tap with a center punch adjacent to the stake mark that's half in line with one of the nut recesses.  It's a good reference/match mark and I'll keep an eye on it.  If it loosens I'll give 'er another whack.    Thanks for the input.  
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 12:56pm
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 5:53pm
Wonder if how many times the nut is staked is manufacturer specific. Have seen a few examples of not staked, single staked but no multiple stakes so far. Just give it a twist till tight usually does the trick.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 6:20pm
That's interesting reading.  Couldn't find anything in the NLs although it may be in there somewhere. Good news is no more "whacks" required.  Something else to make note of somewhere.

Thanks!
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 3:30pm
Reading this post and others I have discovered there are two types of piston nuts, three and four lugs. Has any mention of this been written about? Who used what and when?
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 4:11pm
I'm old enough to be day-dreaming by accident....but I think I've seen a picture of a piston with two lugs. Looks like is just has a big screwdriver slot in it?

EDIT..... Nope was not day-dreaming. I found the site and the picture. Supposedly a Howa.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 9:01pm
That makes three.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 9:14pm
look through the commercial carbine section for the 4 lug, it is not USGI. Why? it is easier to machine.

There are early USGI 3 Lug nuts , but you can only tell once it is out. I do not pulling them to check.

As to staking from factory, yes there is some info in the newsletters. check manufacture updates. I think one company did triangular punches. Something about staking in a specific "o'clock" position also.

I too have seen unstaked. Why? dunno

grump09 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grump09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2017 at 1:32pm
The nut on mine backs out in 10 rds or so. Attempted to stake it so will see what happens next session Will try the Loc-Tite next.
Moose Foot
bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2017 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by grump09 grump09 wrote:

The nut on mine backs out in 10 rds or so. Attempted to stake it so will see what happens next session Will try the Loc-Tite next.

grump09,
Replied to your thread that was posted in the maintenance section before seeing it here.
 Post Reply Post Reply