Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help idenify Inland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiefdaveboats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help idenify Inland
    Posted: Sep 26 2017 at 3:58pm
I acquired an Inland M1 as partial trade at a gun show last weekend. S/N 5382xxx and 7-44 barrel date. All parts are Inland marked except the slide which I think is a M2 Winchester. The trigger group has the M2 machining but lacks the small hole behind the mag release slot and the retaining pin hole is not beveled. Has a flat bolt. The Parkerizing is near perfect but none of the receiver/barrel stamping or machine marks are wash out from blasting leading me to think that it may have the original finish.

Here is the real mystery to me, I have a very small collection of US military small arms dating from the Civil War forward and know cartouches go a long way to identify history of a firearm. The stock on this is a birch M2 and has 2 that I can't identify, an inverted 8 in a box between the trigger guard and rear sight and the number 17 stamped in the sling well.   

I tried to upload pix but being an analog person in a digital world I may not be successful. Please let me know if this has any value other than a shooter if the headspace checks out. My history with the M1 carbine is limited to a 1967 small arms fam class at Camp Pendelton. Thanks in advance for any help.    

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2017 at 6:04pm
Welcome to the forums! when you say inverted 8, do you mean sideways like an infinity sign.

M2 TH from Inland factory would have upside down logo. Many housings were converted to m2 capable. the hole is a late feature and many, but not all has the hole drilled during overhaul.

For pictures here is a tutorial.

chiefdaveboats View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiefdaveboats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2017 at 9:16pm
New2brass was good enough to have me recheck slide and it is M2 Inland, not Winchester.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2017 at 10:50pm
pics uploaded.
It looks as if at some point converted, however the mag catch does not have tab. Is the hammer cut for disconnector? If so find a washer or two to prevent it from moving to the side.

Ya got me on the stock. Maybe someone else has seen these?

Best, Dan

chiefdaveboats View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiefdaveboats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2017 at 10:52am
Hammer is not cut and marked I-I.
 Post Reply Post Reply