The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from the Netherlands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbasol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from the Netherlands
    Posted: Jan 25 2021 at 2:29pm
Thank you for accepting me to this forum. I'm a enthusiastic collector of world war two US ETO militaria, with a rapid expanding collection. The only problem in The Netherlands is that we are not allowed to have any weapon/rilfe at all. But there is one exception that is that every person above the age of 18 is allowed to buy a deactivated firearm. Only disadvantage, it costs you a fortune. My main reason to join this forum is to broaden my knowledge of the M1 carbine so that in the future I can buy I real nice WW2 M1 (deactivated) carbine to accompany my US WW2 mannequin. In short I'm here to learn a lot about the M1.
Nice fact is that the village I live in is liberated in September 1944 by the US 30th Infantry Divison (and we are still gratefull for that).

Niterace View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niterace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2021 at 2:57pm
Welcome!  How do they define “deactivated”?  Is the cost due to government fees and paperwork, or is it due the the local scarcity of carbines?
Thank you
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2021 at 3:02pm
Welcome to the forum, a bit confused by your statement below regarding not being allowed to own any rifle at all, as we have quite a few members from the Netherlands that own carbines and are active in shooting competitions.
 "The only problem in The Netherlands is that we are not allowed to have any weapon/rilfe at all. But there is one exception that is that every person above the age of 18 is allowed to buy a deactivated firearm."

Link to one example

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2021 at 4:11pm
Welcome to the forum.  It's always interesting hearing how gun laws are in other countries.  I look forward to seeing how this works out for you to get a carbine.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2021 at 6:40pm
Barbasol, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the difficulties and cost to acquire vintage military firearms in the Netherlands. Here in the USA we tend to take our freedoms for granted. 
Barbasol View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbasol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2021 at 2:39pm
Thank you all for the warm welcome,

Maybe I must explain some more about the difficulties in The Netherlands .

W5USMC it is correct what you’ve said:  'as we have quite a few members from The Netherlands that own carbines and are active in shooting competitions'. When you have a permit and are a member of a sport shooters association, then you are allowed to have guns (limited quantity) but on a strict permit. Police is checking on you every year and you’ll have to attend your shooting responsibilities at the club range and so on. Another way to own a gun is with a hunting license or with a professional collectors / museum status, but these are scarce and the police and local government are very reluctant to issue such a permit.

My intention is none of the above. I am a collector of US stuff and I wish to make my mannequins to look more realistic with a Garand or M1 carbine around their shoulder. Even the fact that I am in the Army for more then 25 years is not helping me. The only thing that is left for me is to purchase a so called ‘de-activated’ rifle. It is useless as a gun but great for display. It is irreversible changed into a piece of steel and wood, but it looks like a rifle.

Fire-arm possession is tricky in The Netherlands, but it is possible.

Post Reply Post Reply