The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from Ohio!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inland0929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Ohio!
    Posted: Jan 05 2022 at 8:01pm
I just recently picked up my 5/44 inland division carbine. I noticed that the front sight wings/ears have been cut off and there is a hole tapped/drilled into the receiver ring. The rifle shoots fine and the hole doesn’t go into the chamber. Can anyone possibly help me identify why this hole would be there? I’m having trouble posting an image. 

Edited by W5USMC - Jan 06 2022 at 11:59am
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2022 at 9:31pm
welcome to the forums.  If you can post some photos it may help.  I know there is some old timers and young timers on here that will be able to help you out.  We all love carbine photos.  And Welch from a fellow buckeye
Inland0929 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inland0929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2022 at 11:07pm
for some reason I can’t figure out how to post photos. I’m also doing this from a mobile phone. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2022 at 11:26pm
PM sent. Email me the pictures
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inland0929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 11:53am
I emailed you. Thanks. 
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 3:34pm
Didn't one of the countries that received carbines (Germany or Italy?) mount a more traditional notch sight there and tap out the orig. rear on a fair number of rifles?

John
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 4:17pm
That hole looks like it is there to mount a base for a scope. The sights put on by foreign governments were soldered on, not screw mounted.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inland0929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 4:37pm
I kinda wondered the same thing. If a foreign military did it. The front sight ears were also shaved off. It’s weird that I can’t find any m1 carbine scope mounts that would look like they mount to the receiver. Unless someone tried to mount it back in the 60’s to 70’s using an unorthodox scope mounting system. Or even a modern one maybe. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 4:56pm
Front sight ears being cut off is not all that uncommon, below is a link to a recent discussion on the topic.

Also, page down to front sight alterations on this link.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inland0929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 5:27pm
thank you for the reply and info. It seems that this definitely was a civilian attempt at mounting some sort of scope mount or different type of sight. This seems more legit now that I look at my rear sight, seeing that it’s not original to the rifle (it’s a different color and aftermarket) somewhat tells me that someone probably at some point had the flip sight or no rear sight at all, with a receiver forward mounted rear sight. This also makes sense since the front sight ears were cut off. This rifle also has no bayonet lug and has a type 1 sling set up. Oddly enough the rifle still has the 5/44 inland barrel non import marked along with almost all inland parts and a Standard products upper handguard. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 5:43pm
Most scope mounts like the Redfield had a screw that would go into the front ring. It was off to the left with good reason. to leave room for the slide

When your slide is at rest in the forward position does the cam hood/deflector of the slide cover that hole in part ?

the pic below has to do with dwell. I only use it as a quick reference where the deflector goes over the front ring

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 5:45pm
At one time, it was common practice to sporterize military rifles. The carbine was no exception. Someone probably decided to put it back into military configuration before selling it.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inland0929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 6:55pm
new2brass: the slide doesn’t come anywhere close to the screw hole, referring to what you are asking. I also removed the rear sight using a hammer, and found another hole in the rear sight dovetail, the same depth, thread pitch and diameter. I also foind the bottom of the rear sight is marked “Japan” telling me it’s obviously an aftermarket sight.  This rifle at one point most definitely had a scope on it. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 7:22pm
@Inland, I take it you have the slide style pictured in the lower part of the picture.
Or was the deflector hood cut back? Can you post pic withe the slide forward  over the front ring?

Point being a commercial made scope mount would probably account for all slide variations.

Your carbine might have been a one off design or something that had to be redesigned.

Can you post a picture of the rear sight and markings? 
 Post Reply Post Reply