The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from Graceland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.g.roest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Graceland
    Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 8:37pm
Hello I am the FNG to the group! I am a retired Navy Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman who is now a transplant to the Mid-South (just outside of Memphis, TN) enjoying the retired life.  I came across this forum looking for a part for my Dad.  My Dad who is an Army Vet recently was given an Inland M1 Carbine by a family member.  Look forward to seeing I what I can learn about the carbine and to find the critical missing part.

GO BROWNS!
Steve    
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 8:38pm
Welcome.
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 8:46pm
Welcome, and thanks for your service....enjoy your retirement, you earned it! :)

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 9:39pm
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum from New Mexico.

What is the critical missing part you're looking for?
JackP
steven.g.roest View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.g.roest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 10:03pm
I just got off the phone with my Dad and he told me the story on how he got the rifle from his family member.  So his brother-in-law originally got the rifle from his uncle and the brother-in-law asked my Dad if he wanted the rifle because he can't hit anything with it.  When my Dad looked at the rifle and says "no sh*% you can't hit anything with it, its missing the rear sight."  So I am on the hunt for the correct rear sight for the carbine.  Here is what I know about the carbine.  It was made by Inland Division, the serial number starts with 173*** and the muzzle has  Inland Div. General Motors 12-42.  So if I am researching correctly I should be looking for a type I rear sight with a marking S on the right base.  

My Dad then sent me a picture of the stock and it does not look like a typical M1 Carbine stock, it looks like a standard rifle commercial rifle stock.  So now I am thinking what other parts are not original.

v/r
Steve   
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 11:02pm
The "S" should be on the left side. "S" is for the Latin "Sinister" which means on the left-hand side from the view of the bearer. A Type 1 will be pricey. Be careful, most Type 1 sights you see for sale on the interweb are reproductions.

JackP
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2018 at 7:11am
Welcome Aboard Steve!  You have come to the right place to learn about your dad's carbine and to get assistance in finding the missing rear sight.  There is a lot of M1 Carbine knowledge on this forum.

Check out the "for sale" section over at the CMP's forum.  I have had very good luck getting some genuine USGI parts for my carbines from there.

Semper Fi, Bruce
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2018 at 10:14am
Welcome to the forum, Doc. This is a great site with a wealth of carbine info. Hopefully you find the rear sight you are looking for. would love to see the picture of the stock that your dad sent you.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.g.roest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2018 at 11:15am
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2018 at 11:51am
Steve, I would say that the stock has to go. Not sure what you and your dad are wanting to do with the carbine as far as making it look like it should. Whatacountry sells USGI stocks, they usually have rebuild stamps, but are generally in good condition for pretty good prices. They don't currently have any listed that would be correct for your serial # range but they are USGI and would look a heck of a lot better on your carbine than the stock you have now. How about the rest of the parts on the carbine, are they all correct inland parts or a mix of parts? Is the carbine import marked? Has it been through a rebuild?
https://whatacountry.com/m1-carbine-stocks-collector-service.aspx
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.g.roest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2018 at 12:03pm
My Dad didn't put that stock on it.  His brother-in-law gave him the rifle with that stock.  If it were mine I would try to get it back to original much as possible.   
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2018 at 3:30pm
That stock looks nice. You should be able to sell it and make enough to purchase a good genuine USGI carbine stock-set. There is somebody out there that wants it I bet.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2018 at 3:45pm
looks like a Fajen Sportsman stock. Would need a better picture of the nose as Fajen made other models.
Some you had to remove the barrel band. If so you would need to swap out what you have.
So the old question of replacing the rear sight.....
If the carbine is all original parts and dovetail does not have craters then yes find an original sight.
If not go for an adjustable which is better for sighting in.
If you must have a flip sight and it is a mixmaster and craters just buy a cheap reproduction.
Careful out there as some companies charge big bucks to make you think they are selling originals!

If you are unsure of how original post a picture of your trigger group with hammer as that will answer many questions.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.g.roest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2018 at 6:20pm
Dad confirmed with me that the butt plate says fajen.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2018 at 5:47am
Sorry I'm late but welcome to the forum.  Also if you haven't done so you might want to look at the CMP forum, Parts For Sale or Trade.  There's more folks selling on that forum.  And if you have any questions about an item you can ask on here.   Looking forward to seeing some pics.  
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2018 at 12:40pm
Interestingly enough, I'm about 45 miles SW of Memphis, just bought a 12-42 marked inland with a Fajen stock and was in a similar situation.

I got a rear sight from New2Brass here on the forum.  I went with a type 2 as I wanted it to be adjustable, and prefer milled to stamped. 

I would look the carbine over and see what markings you find on different components.  Mine had a type 2 barrel band, but the previous owner had cut off the sling swivel.  The rear sight was missing (scope mounted when I bought it) and the front sight had the ears cut off.  Initially I was going to make it all "correct" but then realized that it had a Winchester bolt, and the receiver had a double stamped serial number (done during rebuild, as the Type 2 and Type 3 rear sights can cover the original).  So, since it wasn't going to be a "correct" rifle without a lot of work/money, and I mainly just wanted it to shoot, I decided to get the right brand of parts, but to go with an adjustable rear sight, a Type 3 bayonet lug'd barrel band (also from New2brass) and an Inland marked front sight I ordered from Nene on ebay after several members here said his parts were genuine.

I had an aftermarket but well made m1a1 stock I bought years ago to put on mine to replace the Fajen. 
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.g.roest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2018 at 1:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply