The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from California

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from California
    Posted: Jan 16 2022 at 12:26pm
I’m a retired mechanical engineer with woodworking, gardening, and reloading as current hobbies.
Grew up in WI and hunted with the family there until I graduated from UW and moved to CA in ‘84. Never owned a gun here until my wife and I decided to get into handgun shooting as our COVID distraction.

My dad had a commercial M1 carbine when I was younger that my brother used….now long traded away. I remember being fascinated by the compact size and the history it represented even though a replica. Dad’s older brother carried one in WWII as a Sgt in Patton’s army. My wife and I decided recently to reconnect with the family roots, if you will, by looking for a carbine to purchase. Quickly discovered that there is a whole lot to learn about these carbines, but you already know that of course.

So I will learn what I can from you all here about the carbine with a goal towards an informed purchase of a carbine in reasonable shape that we can take to the range on occasion. Won’t be looking for a collector-grade, but just a working piece of history. An maybe add loading .30 carbine cartridges to my hobby list as well.

Thanks for listening and having me aboard.
T R
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2022 at 2:36pm
I am sure you will enjoy your journey and the carbine round is simple to reload, no more complicated than any straight-wall cartridge. The cost of reloading supplies being what they are, it’s still very economical compared to todays commercial ammo costs.

Welcome aboard.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2022 at 6:06pm
Welcome to the forum Timothy. Do a little research before you make a purchase, you will be glad you did later. These carbines are fun to shoot and easy to maintain, not to mention their wartime fame. This is great place to learn.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2022 at 7:28pm
Well you certainly jumped into the deep end of the pool. Even those of use who have collected fro 30+ years are still learning! Welcome to the forum and ask anything that comes to mind. This place is a wealth of information and one of the friendliest on the web!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2022 at 8:13pm
Thanks for the welcomes. Look forward to learning more. Quite the site.
T
T R
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2022 at 7:09am
Welcome to the forum.  If you haven't seen it, you might want to look at this recent/ongoing post regarding buying a carbine.  I'm pretty sure there are others as well.  Since you are wanting a shooter it shouldn't be a problem getting one.   There are some good reloading posts on here as well.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2022 at 10:01am
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2022 at 11:38am
New Brass and Sling - thanks for the links I’ll take a look. So many threads in the forum so the pointers are appreciated.
T R
 Post Reply Post Reply