Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great Parts Haul!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Parts Haul!
    Posted: Oct 21 2020 at 9:50pm
Mail call was very good to me today. I recently picked up this parts lot off of eBay. I was on the fence about how far to bid due to all the fake parts being passed off today. After investigating the sellers past auctions, etc it appeared he wasn’t a scammer so I decided to take a chance. Examining everything today has left me with a substantial grin!

Looks like everything is new old stock, nothing shows signs of installation or use. Checkered safety, type 1 trigger housing pin, Underwood bolt and slide, Inland trigger, Inland type 1 rear sight, unmarked 3 weld spot type 1 band, assorted bolt and trigger group springs. Anyone know what that bent rod is? Not ringing any bells for me. It does happen to be the same diameter as the extractor. Really interesting to see the dulite/blued rear sight. I’m guessing super early Inland.

carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2020 at 9:53pm
pics continued. Weird that it looks like someone used an electro pencil to partially circle the Underwood marking on the bolt. I’ve never seen that before.

345 desoto View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 345 desoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 8:03am
Are you interested in selling that barrel band? If so, PM me...

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 2:04pm
Guessing at the L shaped rod...
Could it be for pushing the Extractor up and out while in a bolt tool?
Maybe also used from the bottom to keep firing pin and Ejector slots lined up, as you drop in the Extractor.

Complete guess.

Congrats on your purchase 

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 3:21pm
Man, you guys have all the luck! Jokes aside, fantastic haul!
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 4:18pm
Some will buy the packing and tags.
Like Mike sells history Wink

Nice to see someone get a deal.

Ch-P777
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Guessing at the L shaped rod...
Could it be for pushing the Extractor up and out while in a bolt tool?
Maybe also used from the bottom to keep firing pin and Ejector slots lined up, as you drop in the Extractor.

Complete guess.

Congrats on your purchase 

Ch-P777

I think that may be in the ballpark Charlie. I need to thumb through War Baby again and see if I can spot it in any pictures.

Whatever it is for, it is really well made with quality finish. Not light and flimsy.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 10:12pm
Seemed like a good guess at the time. I'll search around also.
I just noticed your in SE MI.
I grew up in Flat Rock, ever hear of it ?
Been living East of Lansing since 78.

Charlie
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 10:46pm
Any ideas who may have made the unmarked type 1 firing pin? Fairly prominent machining marks, fairly thin blued finish.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 11:54pm
About 10 years ago I got a tip from a forum member who knew I was gathering RMC parts.
I ordered from Egunparts 2 Rock Ola parts still in the original stapled wraps, marked Rock Ola.
A Type II trigger that had really coarse milling on the inside arm, NO letter marking, and had a single punch mark, I believe on the inside arm also.

The other in the wrap was a Rock Ola firing pin Type I that had NO Rock Ola marking, but also had a single punch mark.... maybe two punch marks.

Later on I came across 2 RMC firing pins and took a picture of the markings being a different size between them.

I saved the wraps and still have these 2 parts. They were bought for a RMC project that I now have everything for but just haven't put it together.
I know I have pictures of them also but Photobucket has me locked out until I decide if I want to pay their ransom.

A friend also has a unmarked Type I firing pin in a early original WRA inside the 30,000 range.
Another a Type I unmarked in a 1, 8 S'G'.

Ch-P777
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2020 at 12:35am
I searched Milsurps because I thought I remembered a real early Underwood with a Type I firing pin that is unmarked, with a single punch mark on left rear. 
It's # 1378071, no picture of the FP, just in description- look near the bottom of 1st post:

May Help,

Ch-P777
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2020 at 12:15pm
Thanks for sharing the link. My type 1 safety looks just like the one on that carbine too. I almost wonder if a worker dipped into the parts bins in hopes of building a lunch box gun?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2020 at 10:19am
@carbinekid, is that bent rod hollow and threaded on the inside at the short end? It's shaped like the chamber brush that Fulton sells.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2020 at 10:41am
Both ends of the rod are solid and finished in a nice radius.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2020 at 12:03pm
Well, then my next guess would be a handle for a USGI front sight removal tool or something like that.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2020 at 9:27pm
Great guess Wayne,
You may have nailed it....
Now if we can find someone with a original tool and compare length and diameter.

This morning,
I was searching for ORD 6 SNL B-20 but stumbled on this  1 April 45 version of ORD 6 SNL G-27.
The Tools, Maintenance, for Repair of Motor Vehicles  Supply Catalog.
About 1/2 way down the page with sockets you'll see L shaped.... What they call a wrench.
But I believe they are for Hex heads.

I hope your on the money. Be nice to have this one figured out.

Charlie-P777
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2020 at 10:06pm
No markings on it are there ?
Quick thought of a throat guage crossed my tired mind.

Looking back at it, way too small.
So far Wayne has the best guess I've read.

Ch-P777
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2020 at 10:50am
Yeah, that does look similar doesn’t it? Hopefully we can find someone with a real GI tool that can pull some measurements.

Mine is 2 11/16” on the long side and 7/8” on the short piece. Also the bend is not 90 degrees it’s more like 100-110 degrees. Diameter is 1/8”. Seems a little small for a front sight tool hand handle. But who knows, I’ve personally examined the USGI tool to know for sure.

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2020 at 2:39pm
also does anyone have an early blued Underwood extractor they want to sell me so I can finish off this bolt? New old stock condition preferred. 
 Post Reply Post Reply