The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Primer pockets and cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primer pockets and cleaning
    Posted: Jun 03 2023 at 5:23pm
This question goes for most applications. I've been reloading for several years now, but usually a lot of 100 at a time. I always take the time to hand twist my Lee primer pocket cleaner. 
I just recently purchased the Tippmann 9mm Gatlin gun. 1st trip, 350 rounds. 2nd trip was 600. 
I am not a corner cutter in any way, but cleaning primer pockets has become a chore reloading such a hungry child. Without asking if they should always be cleaned. My question is: What is the best solution for soaking and cleaning after they have been de-capped and resized? I have been using Dawn, vinegar, and lemon-shine. Then the tumble polish with fine Hornady media. Half of the 950 rounds have been my reloads and not one problem. I'm just open for ideas on the best primer pocket soak and clean. 
Yep, in truth. Cutting corners but curious on ideas. Lots of reloading skills are overkill and meant to be that way for safety. I get that and I do respect it. I guess this is a chemical question at its best.  
Thanks to all for any input. 
Lightning 330
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2023 at 6:44pm
I rarely ever put a tool in a primer pocket and about the only time I do is on the brass that had the primer swaged, like 5.56, 308…etc. Just never have a problem with seating primers.  

Clean brass is good for both the reloading equipment and the gun. Everybody might have their own ritual and I know some that do use dishwashing liquid. What one does might depend on loading ammo to look at….or to shoot. I load mine to shoot.
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2023 at 7:45pm
Thanks Floyd. I agree with what you say. I was picky with looks when loading 100 Carbine or 45-70's etc. The look good - feel good thing. They never shot any better, just looked nice. 
Defiantly not my goal with massive reloading on a single stage press. Do it right and call it good. I was just being cautious for primer pocket buildup. The Gatlin is a hoot, but its not and accurate machine, but does indeed cover some space compared to a lifting full auto rifle. You crank it, it will jiggle and also shoot as fast as you crank it. I hope to toss in a few pics. I loved the Gatlin, but had to have my own look and idea. 24" wood spoke wheels compared to the 10" rubber tires.  
Lightning 330
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2023 at 8:01pm
I shoot a lot of 9mm....a whole lot, but not as much as you will be shooting...Smile. At least 9mm has crept back down to a semi-decent price. I could be pretty embarrassed about the way some of my 9mm loads look, but they shoot every time. 
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2023 at 8:57pm
Once the cases are trimmed, you don't need to check them every 3-5 reloads, Same goes for cleaning primer pockets. You can speed up the primer pocket cleaning by mounting the pocket cleaner in a power drill or power screw driver. Each one will take just about 2 seconds to clean. I just throw the brass into the case polisher and let'er rip. Quick clean works as well as bright and shiney. I'm loading to shoot, not to show. BTW I also load my carbines on a progressive reloader. 3-4 hundred per hour is a lot better than trying to load on a single stage. I use a Dillon 550B. I also load large quantities of .30-06 on it. And believe it or not, those machines do product match grade ammo.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2023 at 12:34am
I use a wet tumbler with a little bit of soap that is used in dishwashers, deprime it befor they go into the wet tumbler, after that resize them and 98% of the time it is not needed to clean the primer pocket
1944 national postal meter .30M1
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2023 at 3:15pm
Hey Lightning,
For your needs I highly recommend purchasing an RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center. ~ $190.  Plug into the wall motor driven!!  Get a Lee Case Conditioning Combo (Part #90950) which screws into the Trim Mate.  Also a Lee Case Length Guage Shell Holder (Caliber specific) which screws onto the top of the Lee Case trimmer.  Screw the deburring/chamfering/case inside brush and pocket brush onto the trim Mate.  Now you are set:  Plugge'er in, switch it on and insert the cleaned/de-primed brass onto inside brush cleaning brush, then to trimmer apparatus so to length-trim to SAAMI specs, then pocket cleaner, then to deburring, then to chamfer.  (All w/ one hand while other hand holds on to a beer!!)  The entire process takes 12-14 seconds per case and ready to reload. 

Time saver.  I think Rebel90 has one and thinks it better'n sliced bread.  Right Rebel?

If you want a photo of mine send me a PM and I'll do so.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2023 at 3:22pm
P.S.  Ditto on the progressive Reloader.  Smokepole has the deluxe Dillon.  I've a simple RCBS Pro2000  that was discontinued a while back.  (It jammed up frequently.  I told them WHY it was jamming, a simple fix, and they din't listen!)  Mine works just fine knowing how NOT to allow it to jam up,
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2023 at 4:43pm
BIG Time thanks to all have have chimed in with info. Very much appreciated. 
I have been reloading for years and good with the single stage press for what I normally do. 50 to 100 rounds max at a time. This was an impulsive purchase and loads of fun, but I'm sure it will not be a keeper for long. So investing for progressive presses and other time saving tools would be short lived as well. It's just not in the $ thinking to improve for this fun and exciting Gatlin only. It has also been my first stab at 9mm. It is a forgivable round with case trim length within specs plus or minus a little. I'm real picky on case length and crimp when I load my M1 carbines. Or anything that is subject to a mag loaded recoil semi-auto. 
This Gatlin weighs in at 68 pounds and 8 barrels. So in some way or form. It's like a single shot and I don't fret the perfect crimp value that I get with a factory crimp, which is again, another step. All get a little taper crimp, some just better than others due to the slight difference in case length. It does not seem to mind at all since I have already ran over 400 reloads through it. I was just concerned with passing on with the one by one primer pocket clean. I prepped and cleaned 400 cases. I even skipped the tumble process for pretty. Ready to load and the pockets look good. I foresee no problems and time has been saved. Many thanks again. OCD might be good and have its place, but it can also get in the way at times. Safety is the key, and I feel fine with what my choices are. Thanks again to all for your input. It has been very helpful. 
Bottom line: I do think it will end up a keeper once the new wears off and the hungry child spends more time at home for display. All in passing and the excitement is for now. Got a large plant that is going south and the perfect place for CRANKY. We all love to learn and play.     
Lightning 330
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2023 at 4:50pm
Gatling, not Gatlin. I am OCD. Say "Hi" to Cranky for me.
JackP
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2023 at 5:19pm
Hi Jack. Always good to hear from you and also the idea for the nick-name, CRANKY. It is perfect.
Gatlin - Gatling? I stand corrected. Richard Jordan Gatling is correct. 
No promises if I will ever be able to correct my Kansas lingo which is born and bread and also the lack of true discovery. I plan to warsh my truck later. Too funny. Smile I blame my parents. 
Lightning 330
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2023 at 5:45pm
Your assumption that the 9mm is a very forgiving round to reload is correct. Head space doesn’t seem to matter as long as the firing pin can reach the primer, especially in a fully supported chamber. I have converted a SG to 9mm and it’s about all I shoot. Off the shelf 9mm is close to the cost of reloading at 25-cents or so. A far cry from commercial 7.62 x 33.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2023 at 6:54pm
Don't sell progressives short. Dillon has a less expensive model and you can do 200 per hour with it. The beauty of those progressives is that you can change calibers in a couple of minutes and you use the same dies that you use on a single stage. You only need a conversion kit that doesn't cost as much as a set of dies. If you do a lot of shooting it is really worth the price. 
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2023 at 7:07pm
Please share where you get shelf 9mm for 25 cents or so. The best I have seen of recent is 38 cents delivered to my door and most are in the 44 cent plus area. The fine line is separating sales tax and shipping? My location does have its downfalls for sure. My bullets are 9 cents each and primers at 10 cents each. With powder etc. My very best overall is 24 cents a round. I will jump at 25 cents a round without a hitch. TV and popcorn suits me just fine. Let me know, I'm in with both ears open.   
Lightning 330
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2023 at 7:22pm
You have to go on line and hit various vendors that will ship free on a certain quantity. SG and Buds Gun Shop are a couple. I see it down around $12 a box.

I might have used 25-cents loosely, but with tax and free ship surely 27-28 cents. I got 1,000 rounds not long ago for free ship. Good stuff too. S&B SB9A and Winchester Service Grade. You can find lesser junk for a little less.

I figure 9 for a bullet, 10 for a primer and 5 for the powder. At even 27-cents a round off the shelf it’s close to a wash to me.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2023 at 10:58am
Thanks, I will keep looking. I have never tried Buds. 
Lightning 330
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2023 at 11:56am
Hit the ammoseek.com site. I stick with the better names, but you can find reloaded stuff there as well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply