The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inexpensive Ammo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CGG-1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inexpensive Ammo
    Posted: May 27 2023 at 10:22pm
Does anyone have experience with some of the cheapest .30 carbine ammo currently on the market, specifically the likes of WMTAC, Freedom Munitions, Armscor, Precision One (cheapest based on a recent search on AmmoSeek)? I'm not looking for anything special, just safe plinking ammo.

Edited by W5USMC - May 27 2023 at 10:57pm
Chris

NPM, Early 1943
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 10:38pm
I've been using Armscor for awhile now no issues
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 8:36am
I think that if one is going to shoot a lot of anything, get into reloading. It’ll still cost about 25-cents a round to reload, but that’s a far cry from a $1 more-or-less. It’s not rocket science and you can get into it for less than a $100 equipment investment.

Some calibers, such as 9mm, have gotten back to commercial cost=reload cost, but 7.62x33 is not there yet and might never be. It won’t take long at all to recoup the cost of a single-stage press and a set of dies.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 10:49am
So far no reports I've seen here on Freedom's .30 Carbine.
Armscor I think you can find reports on.
Precision One - I've used several flavors of .38 Spl and .380 and found it to be reliable and groups well.  They sell direct as well as through retailers.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 5:23pm
Just a FYI,
I read a post on another forum 2 days ago where a buyer in Morgantown, WV purchased Armscor from a Rural King store for $19.99 a box. He bought 5, leaving about 10 - 12 boxes on the shelf. He bought on 5-25-23.

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
CGG-1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CGG-1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 9:25pm
floydthecat, I'm hoping to get into reloading one day, but that requires a collection of spent brass first.

Interestingly enough, I'll be driving through Morgantown next week. Maybe there will still be some left.
Chris

NPM, Early 1943
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 10:18am
 I bought 250 rounds of Ballot & Sellier and shot those up retaining the spent brass so all reload brass would be identical in quality.   I am reloading for < 20 cents per round.: 9 cents for the bullet, a dime for the primer and < 1 cent for the powder (15.5gr H110).
Re-loading 500 rounds will save you $400 which will pay for the reload equipment and a few beers!

You oughta call the hardware store, buy the ammo over the phone and have 'em stash it under the counter so you can pick it up next week.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 10:32am
There are many reload presses up for bid on Ebay.  So many of them they'll go cheap.  I recommend the RCBS Rockchuckar.  Indestructible so a used one will do you well.  Lotsa other reload equipment also.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 10:41am
I've been reloading since my dad taught me how in 1966, anyone who says that you'll save money is full of it. Yes the per round cost is less but you'll shoot more! SmileTongueWink

David Milisock
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 1:56pm
OWS has a flash sale going on thru Friday. Looks like about 60-cents a round based on quantity and packaging.

info@ows-ammo.com

I have no experience with these people, just a junk email.
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by CGG-1943 CGG-1943 wrote:

floydthecat, I'm hoping to get into reloading one day, but that requires a collection of spent brass first.Interestingly enough, I'll be driving through Morgantown next week. Maybe there will still be some left.

I think you’ll be surprised how little spent brass you’ll need, at least based on my shooting habits (20-50 rounds per session). A year or so ago one of the old-timers on this forum sold me 500 pieces at a good price to get me started reloading (thanks again sir) and I am sure it will be a lifetime supply. The brass doesn't stretch much, is easy to resize and my recovery rate at the range is 95%, and 100% if I have a brass catcher/screen.
Even if you dont find a Good Samaritan to get you started as was my case, a couple three new boxes of  commercial rounds should give you plenty of brass to get you started.

Have fun reloading, as has been said by others this is relatively easy cartridge to load.
T R
 Post Reply Post Reply