Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Other Wartime Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Identifying 1911 pouch/pocket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Identifying 1911 pouch/pocket
    Posted: May 08 2023 at 3:22pm
Ok...I know this isn't the 1911 forum, but a lot of folks here know A LOT about everything militaria, web-gear, etc.

Person I bought this from had it advertised as "M1 carbine" magazine pouch, but it obviously goes to 1911 magazines, even has the wear marks inside from the base of 1911 magazines.

Anyway...it is weird because it has a silver colored (nickel plated) fastener.  It is well made, but very well may be some commercially made repro.  No idea, but the mark on it is what I find interesting with no clue as to what, if anything, it represents.

It appears to be wings surrounding an anchor and then there are two letters below, one on each side.  The letters, if I squint just right, look like an "E" and an "S", or maybe a "2".  Can't read it.  I mean, it could be "U" and "S", but the top of the first letter appears to be closed at the top, unless it is just smudged over.

Can anyone ID the mark or where this pouch may have come from?
Chad
USN Retired
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 3:27pm
I cannot tell, but does it look like this?

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5600/SoKoreaMinistryofDefence.jpg
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 3:32pm
Gosh....it just may be!  I cannot tell if there is a star in the middle at all....too smudged, but that is VERY close.  Also maybe why the characters below aren't really discernable to any English letters.

Is that S. Korean?  I guess we probably gave them 1911s and they needed pouches for magazines.

Thanks Dan!
Chad
USN Retired
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 3:33pm
Looks like that South Korean Military symbol to me.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 3:35pm
My mystery is solved!  Thanks guys!
Chad
USN Retired
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 3:38pm
South Korean Ministry of Defense.
There are M4 bayos and M8a1 Scabbards with the symbols as well
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 6:26pm
Here are a few examples, M8A1 scabbard, box of carbine ammo and a nylon sling.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 7:38pm
Nice!  Are those yours?  Great to go along with a Korean marked return.

I heard that when the Italian and German/Austrian returns came back through CMP, that there were also various ancillary gear, bayonets, pouches etc.  was that the same with the Korean stuff?

Haven’t seen seen any Korean stuff around since I really became a carbine addict, so maybe it was more plentiful years ago?

Thanks for showing those, Wayne. Very cool!
Chad
USN Retired
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 7:40pm
Yes Chad, they are in my collection.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply