Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early Inland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rynegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Inland
    Posted: May 02 2023 at 8:44am
A quick question about an early Inland serial number: how much added value, dollar wise, would you put against a 5-digit rifle? w/a 5/42 barrel? I have not seen all the parts, but it has an early I cut high wood stock and flip sight It looks to be an original bring back.

Comments appreciated.
                       regards mitch
Mike in NC View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 9:43am
Seems a little unusual for a five digit Inland to have a 5-42 barrel. Not impossible, but I would expect a 5-42 barrel to on a 3 digit or early 4 digit Inland. If all original and in decent condition, it could be worth in excess of $3,000.
Tim030 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 9:45am
If it 5 digit I would say it would go up probably a third. If it is a low 5 digit with the earlier parts such as one front dismount receiver, Serrated mag catch and serrated push safety probably double normal inland.

Maybe more. Depends on how bad someone wants an early one. I definitely like the early ones. 

Tim
Tim030 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 9:48am
For info I have a 48,xxx inland with barrel date of 8 1942 so it would have to be before that. Mine also has the very early parts. So definitely check it over really good for early parts. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 10:08am
What range is the serial number?
I agree with Mike that a 5-42 barrel seems early.
CCNL 268 did a list of Inland carbine barrel dates for the first block.
There are many earlier receivers with later barrel dates
The first low 5 digit reported had a 6-42 date

Never say never, but this is where we would need to see the finish of the barrel and receiver below the wood line.
rynegold View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rynegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 2:37pm
Thanks for the responses!
 The serial # is 579xx
I'm guessing about the barrel date. I've yet to hear what it is actually. The rifle looks original. 
As I said, it's an I cut stock w/that wierd "flattened/squared off butt stock heel.

Mike in NC View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 2:58pm
You might want to ask what markings if any are present in the sling well on the left side of the stock. That is a really low resolution picture, hard to tell much from it other than it is an I cut stock.
rynegold View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rynegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 3:24pm
They're afraid of guns and to do anything to the rifle including sling snap removal... not gun folk. I'm just going to have to drive down and see it I guess. Worth a trip though, a 57xxx serial No. is the first block and early at that.
Tim030 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 7:13pm
Hope it turns out to be a very fruitful road trip and we get to enjoy some photos. 

Good luck
Tim
rynegold View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rynegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2023 at 8:25am
The barrel date is 9-42. There is a very light coat of rust on the trigger housing / trigger guard everything else is okay. More is not right but not pitted. Is $1,500 reasonable for a rifle like this these days?
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2023 at 8:32am
Originally posted by rynegold rynegold wrote:

The barrel date is 9-42. There is a very light coat of rust on the trigger housing / trigger guard everything else is okay. More is not right but not pitted. Is $1,500 reasonable for a rifle like this these days?

If original very reasonable, I wouldn't hesitate.
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2023 at 8:51am
Agree…I’d buy at that price.
Chad
USN Retired
M274A4 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M274A4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2023 at 7:44pm
So, rynegold, did you get the carbine?  
 Post Reply Post Reply