Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

National Postal Meter 14880xx

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: National Postal Meter 14880xx
    Posted: Apr 20 2023 at 10:16pm
My mid 1943 NPM, around #38,000 off the NPM line.

More pics to follow
Bkell3565 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2023 at 10:44pm
Bkell3565 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2023 at 11:07pm

Bkell3565 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2023 at 11:13pm
Bkell3565 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2023 at 11:19pm

Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2023 at 7:07am
Looking good, looks like it has all the original parts it left factory with, nice Slide transfer from Rock-ola. Nice score
Mike in NC View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2023 at 9:07am
Very nice early Postal Meter. I see it has a rear right with the square S on the right side of the base. Does the rear sight have any stamps or markings on the leaf?
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2023 at 10:29am
Very nice NPM. Wonder where it's been before your acquisition.
Glenn
Bkell3565 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2023 at 10:32am
There are no other markings on the rear sight. I bought it under the assumption that the slide (ROCK-OLA) and the rear sight were incorrect for the gun (that's how the seller listed it).
When I received the carbine, based on it's overall condition and patina, I believe it to be all original.

Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Squared S rear sight is OK for a NPM. Don't change it!
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Rock-Ola sent 6500 op slides to NPM from May-July of 43 (War Baby). Don't believe everything written in Riesch's book.
Bkell3565 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2023 at 10:51am
I have no history on it, I bought it from a large dealer. I wish it could tell me where it's been.
Based on the condition when I received it, my assumption is that it's a bring back, and the Vet that had it died a while back and it had been neglected for a very long time. It looked like it had been stored uncased in a basement or attic (The firing pin, gas piston and slide stop were all stuck).
I have been around guns since I seven or eight, was in Law Enforcement for 35 years, and this was probably the dirtiest gun I have ever seen(except for ones left out in the elements).
Dan Pinto View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan Pinto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2023 at 11:32am
Nice Carbine!
Might consider filling out a datasheet for the clubs records.

few phot0 requests:
Rear of the receiver
Buttplate
rack markings on the left side of the stock, better pic of the NPM/FJA on the right

Is the front of the  trigger housing beveled like the left?

what is the hammer marking
Do you remember the extractor marking?

Bkell3565 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2023 at 12:38pm
Data sheet was submitted, but need to make corrections on some typos.
The trigger housing does not have the beveled front.
The hammer mark appears to be the proper HN, it is an angled strike, the H is very faint missing one side and the N is very heavy down into one corner.

I'm not sure if these are rack marks or some prior owners initials. The front set is far forward of any known official markings.

The cartouche is very worn, apparently it had a magazine pouch rubbing it for a long time. You can see the tell tell button marks on the other side. 

Extractor is IN

jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2023 at 7:28pm
Very nice Carbine!
Thanks for posting it along with the nice set of photos.
CGG-1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CGG-1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2023 at 8:08pm
Love to see the original Trimble stock! I'm a fellow NPM owner (1462***), and seeing similar parts is very cool!
Chris

NPM, Early 1943
Tim030 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2023 at 7:46pm
very nice early postal. Also thanks for the great detailed photos. 

Tim
PingCMP View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PingCMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2023 at 11:06am
Nice score! Years ago, when I bought a minty S'G', the seller said that all parts were original except for the IN marked safety. I obtained an IP-A marked safety before learning, through War Baby!, that IBM had transferred IN marked safeties that IBM had made (for NPM) to S'G'.
Apparently, IBM never used any of their own safeties in the carbines they manufactured, preferring to subcontract those to Eaton Pond Co. in Springfield, MA.
Charlie
Bkell3565 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2023 at 11:32am
Nice. Thanks to W5USMC for providing me the info from War Baby regarding the transfer of parts to NPM. Without any prior history on my carbine I will never know for sure if it is 100% original, but it sure feels like it. I think I lucked out. Either way, I am happy with it.
I'm still trying to convince the wife to let me spend almost $300 for a bookWink (War Baby).
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2023 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Bkell3565 Bkell3565 wrote:

I'm still trying to convince the wife to let me spend almost $300 for a bookWink (War Baby).

Brian, check out ebay, you can get a copy of WB around half that price. But then you need WBII and WBIII!LOL
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Bkell3565 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bkell3565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2023 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Dan Pinto Dan Pinto wrote:

Nice Carbine!
Might consider filling out a datasheet for the clubs records.

few phot0 requests:
Rear of the receiver
Buttplate
rack markings on the left side of the stock, better pic of the NPM/FJA on the right

Is the front of the  trigger housing beveled like the left?

what is the hammer marking
Do you remember the extractor marking?

After receiving a copy of War Baby!, I now believe the hammer marking to be an 'N, instead of the angled HN i thought it was. War Baby! page 451 shows this as one of the possible markings for an NPM early hammer.

Post Reply Post Reply