Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High C Barrel Band

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rifleman t3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High C Barrel Band
    Posted: Apr 08 2023 at 8:25am
WTB Winchester High C Barrel Band.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2023 at 10:59am
Just trying to help: does your current Winchester have a type 3 band on it and what manufacturer is it?
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2023 at 1:14pm
CCNL 355-4 reports that approximately 1/4 of the "original appearing" carbines reported to the Club in the 6 - 7 million range had other than "C" marked Type 3 barrel bands. FWIW
JackP
Rifleman t3 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rifleman t3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2023 at 7:03am
Late Winchester barrel, type 3 band with a W. Carbine is a T3 Winchester. Any help would be appreciated on a band that would be suitable for September/August 1945 manufacturer.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2023 at 11:04am
Per CCNL 356-8, "...the letter "W"...band has not been found on any Winchester carbine thought to be in it's original WWII configuration."

The Type 3 band marked "W" is noted as a "Post WWII" replacement.
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rifleman t3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2023 at 11:53am
You’re absolutely correct and I’m aware of that. That’s why I’m seeking a high C band or any other bands that Winchester did/could have had on their carbines manufactured in late 1945. And info or opinions appreciated.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2023 at 1:40pm
I am not sure about the W bands. I think they have been observed on barrel assemblies new in wrap.
Maybe Marcus can confirm or deny.

Winchester wanted to buy left over parts from other manufacturers, at their cost, for their production.
We see it with the Underwood and Underwood subcontracted receivers.

Some if the barrels in wrap have the IBM saw cut.

Then for those with a sharp eye might have noticed the SG from the LR collection having a swaged barrel!. Hmm, was this a bought part?

Now the problem, books being published saying this part is X and this part is Y. Now people with an excellent late production Winchester learn that a part is wrong according to a book. So they swap the part.
So what is correct?

Read the quote above from the NLs. W band has not been reported on an original Winchester. 
Believed to be post war.
The wording is not definitive for a reason as we may learn something later.
So if I am remembering correctly on the barrels in the wrap, would it not be possible the band would also have been used in production? Dunno.

@rifleman t3, does the barrel band appear original to the barrel?
Does the barrel have the saw cut behind the front sight?

Seggested reading, CCNL with Winchester box of ten, Perry carbines.. war baby 1 on Winchester buying parts.
Some of this has been posted on this forum. Need to use thevsearch function.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2023 at 1:48pm
The following Type 3 "replacement" barrel bands were available at the time T3's were made and were among the ones found on 48 out of 196 Carbine Club Data Sheets of "original appearing" late Winchester carbines per CCNL's 355 and 356.

"AMCO"
"C" (high)
"J.M.Q."
"MMQ"
"Q"
"SA"
Inland Markings (AI, SI, KI, JI)
"D" in a diamond
"JM"

My late Winchester has a Type 3 marked "JM" and I have no desire to change it. Out of the 5 or 6 T3's that have sold at auction I could only find one with a Cowles barrel band. Here are some links to look at.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/85/457/wwii-winchester-t3-carbine-with-m2-infrared-scope-and-power-box

https://historical.ha.com/itm/long-guns/semiautomatic/rare-winchester-t3-semi-automatic-carbine-and-accessories-total-2-items-/a/6081-32363.s

https://lsbauctions.com/29708/winchester-t3-carbine-scoped-m1-carbine-30-semi-automatic-rifle-1945-cr/

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/rare-and-exceptional-korean-war-winchester-t3-m1-carbine-with-m2-infrared-scope-101331

https://pre98.com/shop/us-ww2-inland-t3-night-time-sniper-carbine-rare-early-infrared-sniper-scope-equipped-impossible-to-locate/

This is the only one I could find that "might" have a Cowles barrel band.

https://www.icollector.com/Extraordinary-Complete-All-Original-WWII-Winchester-T3-Carbine-with-Original-First-Patten-M-2-Infr_i9966898

JackP
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2023 at 2:42pm
@Dan, thanks for the reminder. I should add the "Perry six" and "Box-of-Ten" to the Winchester Spread Sheet.
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rifleman t3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2023 at 5:21pm
Thank you so so much for that information! I really do appreciate it.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rifleman t3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2023 at 5:33pm
Dan, it does have the saw cut. This was a in the wrap assembly. Brown wrap in heavy grease Barrel, band,and front sight. Bought it seven or eight years ago at auction.

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2023 at 5:58pm
I've seen IBM barrel blanks that were finished by Winchester that had W bands on them and you know when those barrels were made. NIW doesn't necessarily guarantee it's virginal, but with saying that if it has new barrel, which is great, just put any band on it and call it a nice project.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2023 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Rifleman t3 Rifleman t3 wrote:

Dan, it does have the saw cut. This was a in the wrap assembly. Brown wrap in heavy grease Barrel, band,and front sight. Bought it seven or eight years ago at auction.

Do you still have the wrap?

You have a special T3, and a new barrel. I would leave it as is. You would have to pull off the sight, which will leave scratches.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2023 at 8:17pm
I bought a take off late Winchester barrel assembly in just about brand new condition that has an SI type 3 band. Front sight and staking shows no signs of being disturbed since it left the factory. I always have wondered if someone pulled it off because they thought the band was replaced.
HARLEY08 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARLEY08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 5:16pm
I know of a 7 million Winchester M! Carbine that came out of the Winchester Museum in New Haven, CT.
It has a type 3 barrel band with a High C Barrel Band!

M1DB
 Post Reply Post Reply