Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

flip sight pin staking ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flip sight pin staking ideas?
    Posted: Mar 22 2023 at 3:03pm
Looking for ideas for the pin staking for the flip sight. Putting a reproduction flip on my Chiappa M1-22.
Not trying to fool anyone, but I would like it cosmetically correct the easiest way possible. The pin was long and flattened on the ends. I have shortened and rounded the pin, put a small recess bevel over the hole. Most all staking I see are from a round punch. Some spot on and many off center. Did they ever use the -O- staking or a possible X? I rounded the repro corner rails for cosmetics only and it actually looks pretty good for the application it will be mated to. Looks to me like a new round sharp edge punch will do the trick maybe? But as I said. The easier path is preferred with my eyes and unsteady hands. 
Did they ever use anything else besides the round stake punch? 
Thanks again as always.............     
Lightning 330
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2023 at 3:44pm
Underwood used a small horizontal chisel mark on each side of the pin on both sides. That might be the easiest. 
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2023 at 5:08pm
Thanks Floyd. I did that on my plastic front sight and it turned out well. I was just not sure it had been done for sure on the rear sight. I like it and it simple enough. 
Lightning 330
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2023 at 5:30pm
Don’t let me throw you a curve. I was thinking front all along and you want info on the rear flip. I am old enough to mess-up and this is my first mistake this year….if I remember correctly🤔.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2023 at 6:04pm
At times QHMC used X staking over the rear sight pin.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2023 at 6:17pm
All is good Floyd. The rear sight info was what I was looking for. I just posted the pic of what I had done with the front sight for grins. Since Underwood used it as well on the rear flip. I'm going to go with it. 
Jack mentioned the same thing you brought up that Underwood used it also. He just was not able to confirm it at that time. Nothing is correct for the M1-22, but a little dress goes a long way. Just a fun build and love tinkering. Makes getting old more better butter so to speak. My understanding is that Rock-Ola used the same staking on the front sight. Simple and easy is my key on this project. 
It is posted as Cadmus folder M1-22. The rear sight was moved back and the overhang look drove me nuts. It shot well and sighting adjustment itself was good. I just had the need and want, to put a flip sight on it. I think it will be an overall improvement for looks and I'm sure it will still be a fun shooter.  
Lightning 330
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2023 at 6:55pm
CCNL 35-3 states that "X" pin staking was "proper" on QHMC carbines with the Lyman (Square "S") sight. I was mistaken thinking it was Underwood. I haven't been able to find a picture of same...yet.
JackP
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2023 at 7:19pm
I found it here.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/late-qhmc-with-rsg-stock_topic3513.html

JackP
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2023 at 10:20pm
Friend used a Roll Pin Punch with the outer tip edges lightly bevel ground to a pretty sharp point. Inside diameter was big enough to fit over his front sight pin. He had installed a NOS GI frt sight and he wanted it staked. It looked good and has held tight for a few years now.

Anyone trying this just take care to pad the sight's outer ears to keep from bending/breaking when staking. With a sharp bevel on the end it just takes a light tap or two. We touched up his 'Staking' and a few light scratches on the end of the barrel (from changing the sight) at the same time with a Q Tip of Oxpho Bluing Creme wiped off after a minute or so, then oiled. Staking and metal touch up came out really nice. As he tends to remind me everytime I see him. Sick

FWIW,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2023 at 5:04pm
Appreciate everyone's input on this. I chose to do the -O- and did nothing but fail. Slept on it and tried to correct the next morning to no avail. Got my ass kicked this time on something I figured would be simple enough. The more I fussed, the worse it became. So I just decided to be happy with what it is.
The uprights are very hard, or at least this one was. I hate even sharing the pics, but I'm going too. 
The purpose was served and that was to install a repro flip sight on my M1-22 Chiappa that I put in a Cadmus folder. Chiappa moved the dovetail back and created a big ugly in my eyes. Way to much rear overhang. So a flip sight it was going to be and a flip it is indeed. Cosmetics is the only way I can justify my choices. I besides a few or several will never notice the changes or staking. It for sure is not bonofide. Thanks again to all for the input. Greatly appreciated.  
Lightning 330
 Post Reply Post Reply