Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting a npm m1 carb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappy3122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting a npm m1 carb
    Posted: Feb 28 2023 at 10:41pm
Hello all. I been a long time lover of the m1 carbine but only ever had a few mix master ones here and there. I am trading one of my other rifles for a nice npm. I am in the process of looking it over and want to make it all the way it should. I have a few questions. I am pretty sure the stock is a fake. Wasn't a big deal since I prob would have to replace it with a proper one anyway.

Looks too good and I never saw Trimble by itself

Also I am looking for a type one rear sight and see a few on ebay. Can you guys give me your opinion of any are actually real.

Sorry for all the questions, want to fix this carb up the proper way and alot of asshats out there lol
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2023 at 11:01pm
The rear sight that you linked on ebay is 100% NOT real!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Pappy3122 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappy3122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2023 at 11:06pm
Thank you bud, I was thinking that but being new, figured check with people who know lol
dmgfour View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmgfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2023 at 5:39am
Pappy3122:  You poor bugger.  Now you've done it.  It will be hard to stop at one.

If you need parts, NPM or otherwise, one of the safest (not necessarily least expensive) means to acquire them would be to post a WTB add on the carbine subsection of the "parts wanted or for sale" section of the CMP forum.  The CMP site gets a lot of traffic, and when I post there looking for something (including entire carbines), I usually don't have to wait more than a day to get what I want.

You never pay to much with these rifles; you just pay too early.  My colleagues laughed at me when I bought my first two from CMP when they were charging the outrageous price of $425.

If my retirement funds did as well, I'd be writing this from the beach in some sunny southern clime.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2023 at 7:12pm
"If my retirement funds did as well, I'd be writing this from the beach in some sunny southern clime."

Wouldn't we all! 
And I handle my own small stock account while the broker handles the IRA. I've done at least twice as well as the professionals and have stocks that have grown by 50% up to 300% and yield 6.9 to just a shade under 10% dividends. Sometimes you just have to do it on your own....
IF I HAD handled my own IRA, I'd be a millionaire now, but I wasn't allowed to do that. If, if, if....
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
CGG-1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CGG-1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2023 at 10:45pm
Do you have any more pictures of the stock?
Chris

NPM, Early 1943
Pappy3122 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappy3122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2023 at 10:53pm
Here I made an album of pics I got, pick up rifle this weekend

Got mw of 1 and looks solid other then the stock being stupid lol
Already got a stock lined up and type 1 rear sight lol
CGG-1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CGG-1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2023 at 6:28pm
In case you haven't seen it, here's a good reference for early NPMs: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/featured-carbine-national-postal-meter-1457503_topic3770.html

If you toss up more pictures (especially of markings), we can help you check various parts.
Chris

NPM, Early 1943
Pappy3122 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappy3122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2023 at 3:26pm
Just got my hand in the carbine, the guy gave me another stock with it for free and want your guys opinions if you think this one a fake also if you don't mind

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2023 at 8:51pm
Looks ok to me. Fakes are usually deeply stamped and clear rather than partially missing and dark with built up oil.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Pappy3122 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappy3122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2023 at 11:55pm
Cool, finally tore the rifle apart, good news a decent amount of the parts are right, bad news there are enough that aren't that will hit the wallet lol going to be a fun adventure lol

Serial number is 4139464 and this is what it has

Looks like trigger housing and all parts in it are mish mash. So going to have fun there lol
Hammer marked am b
Trigger ri
Trigger housing inland
Mag catch wi
Safety a wierd s looking thing lol

Barrel buffalo arms 10-43 and mw less then 1 lol 

Bolt has n 4 on lug
Operating slide has n15
Barrel band is type 2 unmarked
Front sight is sn
Butt plate unmarked
Recoil plate di

Still figuring the rest out

Edited by Pappy3122 - Mar 05 2023 at 12:18am
Pappy3122 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappy3122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2023 at 1:52am
Sorry bolt is n14
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2023 at 7:24pm
If that safety is a flip type that looks like a double vision S, then it is probably made by William Steinen Co.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2023 at 11:16pm
If your barrel band is a real type 2 and not a cut down type 3. You could probably trade or sell it to cover the type 1 you need.
Pappy3122 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappy3122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2023 at 12:02am
I believe it is real, not cut down. But can't guarantee its not a repo. The stock was so who knows. Planning on taking pictures if everything tomorrow and see what you guys say.
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2023 at 8:54am
Take pictures of the front at an angle both sides and the top showing the weld scars.
Pappy3122 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappy3122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2023 at 4:57pm
Anyone able to tell.me what a proper hammer is for this rifle, 4139464.

Newsletter says one thing every where else says other things lol my head is spinning lol
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2023 at 5:55pm
I would expect a straight hammer, but being close to the switch over time hard to say for sure. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Pappy3122 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappy3122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2023 at 6:14pm
Ya what marking should I be looking for
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2023 at 9:54pm
HN possibly HI
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply