The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crimp or not to Crimp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crimp or not to Crimp
    Posted: Jan 29 2023 at 2:10pm
Any of you reloaders crimping the brass during the seating of the bullet?  I very minimally flare the mouth before seating the bullet, barely visible though.  Never any problem with seating the bullet.  It seems reasonable the brass would self crimp when slammed into the chamber?  Certainly would be nice if boat-tail bullets were available.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2023 at 3:24pm
I also lightly bell the mouth, but prefer to apply some degree of crimp. It might depend on the quality/strength of the brass to insure tension, but I still like to crimp. Left-side right-side feeding can get rough in some actions leading to possible set-back.

I have one carbine that will feed and fire about any .308 bullet profile. It’s chambered in 7.62 x 25 Tokarev and one must reload for it to get decent accuracy. We often see remarks from shooters wanting to use different profiles and a re-chambered 30-carbine barrel is one way to do it, but it dedicates that barrel to Tokarev only. What’s the big deal……don’t most of us have more than one carbine? 
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2023 at 6:40pm
Yeah, a crimp set-up is a flick of the wrist so I'll go ahead.  Thanks for the tip!
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2023 at 8:20pm
“Any of you reloaders crimping the brass during the seating of the bullet?”

I do a separate taper crimp after the seating step.

T R
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2023 at 8:28pm
Accurately trimmed brass with remove the case bellm and apply neck tension in one step.
David Milisock
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2023 at 9:58am
Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

Accurately trimmed brass with remove the case bellm and apply neck tension in one step.

Sizing the fired case restores the mouth and then one trims to his desired length and expands. That’s how I do it anyway. I am not sure if I follow. Why would one size, expand and then trim only to maybe require expanding again? Depending on the dies and how they are set, one can seat the bullet without expanding, but if it’s not set just right, case mouths can get crushed. 

David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2023 at 10:10am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

Sizing the fired case restores the mouth and then one trims to his desired length and expands. That’s how I do it anyway. I am not sure if I follow. Why would one size, expand and then trim only to maybe require expanding again? Depending on the dies and how they are set, one can seat the bullet without expanding, but if it’s not set just right, case mouths can get crushed. 

I tumble for cleaning, then trim as there is less wear on the case from the trimmer pilot bushing. I use a RCBS Trim Pro, trimming to the shortest case, in this instance a few thousands under minimum. Once sized they all were 1.285, then once belled, primed and loaded the bullet seating removes the case bell and set next tension. The case length consistency improved the case tension consistency and prevents buckles in the case.
David Milisock
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2023 at 6:57pm
All of my fired brass, without exception, is sized, trimmed, thrown into a vibratory cleaner until such time that I remember it's there (usually overnight), and a taper crimp applied after seating the bullets. When I seat my cast bullets, which are .309", they require a bit more belling of the case mouth, so I just crimp all loads.
Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2023 at 3:09am
well if it goes in a magazine, crimp it, I always use a factory crimp die seperate from the seating die
1944 national postal meter .30M1
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2023 at 3:39pm
I as well use the factory crimp die. It might be the placebo pill effect. But I do it. 

Lightning 330
 Post Reply Post Reply