Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland Carbine Added To Collection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland Carbine Added To Collection
    Posted: Jan 05 2023 at 4:38pm
I recently purchased this carbine and filled out a data sheet as well. It seems pretty complete and correct, but I'm no expert at all. It came with all parts listed minus the band swivel and screw. For now, they are reproduction. It came with the type 1 band and since this carbine comes in as and early made 1944 likely. The band could be wrong because I understand that the type 2 came also in early 44? Muzzle gauge is just under 2, the go no-go gauge is in specs, but at it's tail end. It will close with a little assist. 
Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Need to get it to the range when it warms up a little. I was really pleased when I broke everything down and found no stake marks on the receiver even though it has the milled PI adjustable rear sight. It has been suggested that maybe the rear sight was a field replacement? The stock appears to have worn the early mag pouch for some time due to the shadowing and snap imprint on the left side. You might see a little on the right for lines, but I assume the dark at the crossed cannons is because of the pouch as well? The dark area on the left is from heat. It is a tad crispy there. I find it all very interesting. I did retouch the barrel a little, other than that. Just cleaning. This carbine still had cosmoline throughout the trigger housing hard to get places, plus the receiver and barrel skirt area. Once again interesting? Anyway enjoy, and I hope I get all the pics to post. I'm still learning.    
Lightning 330
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2023 at 4:46pm
Sorry about sending so many pictures, but you guys always say. Pictures speak a 1,000 words. 
Lightning 330
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2023 at 5:15pm
Nice looking carbine. 

In your pictures I see the front sight was off and that it has a polished and blued barrel. Was the carbine partially sporterized or something? 
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2023 at 6:09pm
Good question and I wish I had an answer for you. It came with the worn smooth polished look on the barrel only. As I said, I did some retouch with the black-bluing. It was only that way down to the gas chamber. So I assume someone did indeed mess with it. I first thought maybe the barrel had been cleaned up to remove import stampings. Not so. All meets specs. The why remains, but it was there. I pulled the sight so I could do what little I know. Lightly cleaned it and tried to make a match the best I could. Sad to say it happened and I did what I did. But it was already messed with unfortunately. Call it bubba fixing a bubba. The really sad thing about the carbine so far anyway. I knew it would get spotted right away. Can't help the past of who knows what. Should I have left it be?  
Lightning 330
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2023 at 11:31am
Thank you for posting the Data Sheet along with the pictures of your carbine. This will make a really great reference for other collectors when I add it to the Inland Serial Number Spread Sheet.
JackP
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2023 at 1:55pm
Thanks Jack, and I hope it helps with other discoveries as well. Here is the link of the gun before I received it. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/955138275
Maybe this will help with questions such as the barrel work I did. There just wasn't much left to the original finish once I got the gunk and rust off it. It was pretty shinny and I felt something needed done. Right or wrong, I did it. I put a light coat of Black Magic on it which I'm sure in time, it will fade as well. Hope this link flies. It might help with the before and after questions. The stock was dry, but would not take any Linseed oil at all. It had a coat of some sealer on it. I used Citrus-Strip and wiped it down followed by Murphy's oil soap. It drank up the oil rub after that and I finished with RLO and some more rubbing.  
Lightning 330
 Post Reply Post Reply