Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1A1 repro stock finished

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1A1 repro stock finished
    Posted: Dec 29 2022 at 8:41pm
This is a spin off of my previous posts. I think I have now figured out doing pics on my own. We shall see. This is an aftermarket M1A1 stock and rail assembly. Nice in ways, but not so in others. Furniture is not walnut for starters. Geometry of the fit was way off. The rails are solid and not hollow, the rivets are nice. It's all a give and take when you can't afford the real deal. I had a nice Inland mix-match to complete the swap. The cake and eat it too with lots of fun. Easy to swap and a challenge is always good. The fun home build on reproduction items. Yes indeed, you will see some Bubba in this. My spring loaded button for one on the swivel butt plate. Got to save that soft wood. It actually works! 
Just a share is all, and I hope the pics come with. Input is always good and welcome. Sling is also not correct for install. But I chose it anyway. Best to all for the New Year. What a mess my pics turned out with the preview. Still learning and it is what you receive. Missed pics and doubles on others. I'll leave it up to you to sort out the before and after. The beginning starts at the end. Oops!  

Edited by W5USMC - Dec 30 2022 at 10:12am
Lightning 330
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2022 at 9:38am
Looks good
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2022 at 10:58am
I've never totally understood the desirability of the M1A1 platform (or as I call it, "the clanky folder") but for an aftermarket one this looks pretty good. Nice job on the finish!
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2022 at 4:21pm
Thanks guys. It was not and easy task, but fun. I wish I hadn't screwed up on the pics but still learning.
When I got it. It would not unfold all the way with binding at many points. Nothing lined up or fit properly.
The butt plate and frame especially being below the stock when folded. Just Wrong!!.. The geometry was just a mess. The 0.350 extension on the bottom rail saved the day. It brought everything back to a starting point for improvement. It is pictured. I drilled and pinned it before spot welding. Lots of breaking it down and refitting over and over afterwards, but it locks out and also locks in folded. It would not quite reach a firm closed lock until I made the Bubba spring loaded pin to assist. I would NEVER do that to an original. I agree with Hard Corps. The Why Factor? But to much snow, rain, and cold for the range now, but I can see and feel how odd and uncomfortable it might be to shoot. Answer: The challenge mostly. It did serve a purpose in it's time and I had to have it, even if it is a reproduction. I can easily slip my Inland back into it's home stock. Thanks again to all for input and share. 
Lightning 330
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2022 at 5:02pm
Looks good, nice job fixing the lower arm.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2022 at 8:01pm
Many thanks again GotSnIB28. I recently added another Inland and really happy with the overall. I will be posting pics and data sheet as well. I just need to learn the picture posting better. It all seems worthy of a nice one. All parts match the time fame and the best is. No stake marks on the receiver for the rear PI adjustable rear sight that it came with. Jp mentioned the possible field replacement. Odd, but very possible indeed I would think. 
Looking forward to the send if I can pull it off correctly. Late to early 43-44. 3M serial # era. Hard to figure of course, but I assume this is why we have the data sheet and the special people that give time and effort to read them. Bless them for their love and research. 
Lightning 330
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2022 at 8:19pm
My Bad. Need to read the title. Thanks as well to Why Carbines?. 
My answer is simple. Born in 53 and loved watching the WW2 shows, Combat in B&W etc. I could never get enough of it. M1 and the BAR were my favorites. Never followed through with it until the last 8 years.
The addiction has arrived. Never to late to start young.  
Lightning 330
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2022 at 11:54am
Personally, I love the M1A1 platform. It makes the perfect “truck gun”, as you can easily fold it down and put it under a seat. It’ll also fit in a backpack with ease, making it an excellent candidate for hiking and/or hunting.

I’d be interested to know who made your stock. I purchased one of those of Italian manufacture through Numrich a couple years ago, and I’ve been pretty pleased with its quality. It appears to be walnut and -despite the fact that it’s missing the little inlet on the left hand side of the stock and doesn’t lock up quite as tight as an original does- is quite serviceable and a relatively convincing reproduction.

Congratulations on your “po’ man’s M1A1”!
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2022 at 12:21pm
Thanks Pro L, It's a SARCO. Mine just had the tapered inlet for the cheek pad. I taped and filed it for shape the best I could. It came out semi-okay. 
Lightning 330
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2023 at 9:10pm
L330, you need one of the Ohio Ordnance M1918A3 BARs. They are semis not full autos but from 3 feet away, you can't tell the difference! They look just like the originals and weigh about the same. They take original BAR mags too. A blast to shoot and a big job to carry! But tons of fun. BUT they are a bit pricey, $7600+. Hope you have a lot of spare change!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2023 at 4:52pm
Sounds awesome Smokpole but not in my budget for sure. I have rented to shoot the BAR twice and it is one fine machine. Small bursts on full auto is all it takes. Thanks for the link. Maybe I will win the lottery some day. 
Lightning 330
 Post Reply Post Reply