The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member from MD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CGG-1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member from MD
    Posted: Nov 18 2022 at 4:15pm
Hi All,

My name is Chris, and I am excited to be a member! I've owned an M1 Carbine for several years now, and this site has always been a great source of information. I figured it was time I finally join and try to contribute a little.

National Postal Meter 146****

Underwood barrel dated 2-43

The upper of the carbine appears to be fairly correct for an NPM from this timeframe. It's very similar to the featured carbine from November 23rd, 2018 (including the trigger group retaining pin and beveled housing for those of you who get excited about that kind of thing http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/featured-carbine-national-postal-meter-1457503_topic3770.html). The stock (along with the tang and butt plate) is Underwood, while the hand guard is JLB (IBM subcontractor). The flat bolt is Underwood, but the components all have NPM sub-contractor markings according to this resource (https://m1family.com/part-markings-check-here-first-t46.html). I suspect those few parts were swapped at some point in the 40s-50s, but the carbine clearly did not go through the typical arsenal rebuild. If anyone has an extra Trimble Nursery stock laying around in good condition, I might be interested in putting this NPM back in an original stock.

My grandfather originally acquired the carbine sometime in the 50's. Over the ~60 years he owned it, he kept it clean and only occasionally shot. He never acquired other parts nor had major work done to it. I've never had the opportunity or time to take it for a spin. That said, I have tried to learn everything I can about this particular carbine.

I finally bought some proper gun care equipment (Hoppe's oil and grease along with some other miscellany). I’m also waiting on a Forster field length headspace guage, just to double-check that it’s in spec.

I'm currently in the northern Virgina, DC, Maryland area (DMV for you locals). The current ~$1 per round cost isn't very enticing, but I hope to be able to shoot it sometime. If anyone has suggestions for a local place to pick up reasonably priced ammunition and/or a decent place to shoot a carbine, I'd happily take suggestions!

Chris

NPM, Early 1943
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2022 at 8:16pm
what markings are on the stock?
CGG-1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CGG-1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2022 at 9:30pm
Stock cartouche

Sling well

Handgaurd

Chris

NPM, Early 1943
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2022 at 10:03pm
those are 8=12 month later markings vs when gun was made--a true mix master of early and late parts-some will tell you to restore ot some will say leave it alone--either way it is what is is--original ww2 mix master-your gun needs a early I-cut stock with NPM/FJA in box and cc beside it--is like looking for front fender and hood for a Duesenburg
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2022 at 9:24pm
And would probably cost almost as much! *LOL*
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
rice paddy daddy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rice paddy daddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2022 at 12:49pm
Welcome from Florida.
Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America
Da1Chief View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da1Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2022 at 10:07am
Welcome from South East Virginia, (Hampton Roads, Norfolk, Virginia Beach Area.
Very respectfully,
Da1Chief
DPC,RMC,ITC(SW) USN Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image