Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTB Winchester type IV safety

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferndog1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB Winchester type IV safety
    Posted: Nov 16 2022 at 4:57pm
WTB
A type IV M1 carbine rotary safety W or EW marked 
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2022 at 8:12am
If WRA used additional rotary safeties with other markings than EW as they probably did, are you still wanting the the ones you listed? Just curious as with carbines there's often another option.
Ferndog1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferndog1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2022 at 3:52pm
Thanks for the reply,

Well, I understand the one I "need" is rare and expensive.
I have a transferable original 7-million # Winchester M2 with all the correct Winchester and subcontractor parts except the safety. The current safety is letter C with an M inside, I looked up the contractor but don't recall off the top of my head.

Options?  
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2022 at 5:25pm
My 7.25 WRA has an E.I. rotary safety that I firmly believe to be original to the carbine. The safety you refer to is made by Mc Cullough. I don't remember off the top of my head what rotary safeties showed up in original late Winchester carbines, but it seems that it was a handful (give or take) of possible markings. Congrats on having a Winchester M2 carbine - that's a rare bird for sure.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2022 at 7:33pm
Frank, Welcome to the forums! Win M2s are a hard find.

If your carbine was otherwise correct then why suspect that the safety was swapped? Or are you correcting it to what you believe to be original?
There is no W marked rotary safety that I know of.

Why Carbines has it correct that late Winchesters have been reported with other rotary safeties.

E.I. and E.W. were from the same manufacturer, Eaton Pond. There is no documentation that Winchester procured safeties from anyone else. However, In the clubs 40 years of collecting datasheets there were original appearing 6 and 7 million carbines with other safeties including the E.I. and the M in C (McCullough), as well as a few others.

The other notable rotary safety is the J.A.O that was found on carbine that never entered the ordnance system and sold by Winchester after the war. This was known as the Winchester box of 10.
Winchester also sold 6 new carbines to Mr. Perry and Associates after the war. Three of these had experimental stainless barrels. One of those that I recently handled has the M in C safety.

Hope that helps.

Ferndog1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferndog1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2022 at 8:07pm
Thanks guys, maybe I'll just leave it as-is, however it is "fun" to search for THE parts you "need"
I am going to Phoenix, AZ in Dec for the big SAR West show at the fairgrounds, it will give me something to look for. 

I have had the M2 since 1988, I bought it from a Class III dealer for $550.00 + shipping and a $200 transfer tax. After reading several of Larry Ruth's books I got the urge to take it apart and check the parts. Oddly it runs 99.9% with the 30-rd (Taiwan or Korean?) aftermarket magazines marked UU on the spine, it is not as reliable with original SEY and AI 30 rounders, but 99% with all 15-round mags.     

Edited by Ferndog1 - Nov 21 2022 at 8:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply