Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USM4 Utica

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USM4 Utica
    Posted: Nov 04 2022 at 12:22pm
My @#$%&*@&muther*&$%#@&*!!! wife put my leather handled M1 Carbine bayo in the dishwasher last night!!
Leather came out all dried up and black.  Can scrape off dried leather w/ finger nail.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
The funeral is Sunday. 
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2022 at 1:01pm
Ouch, aside from a new wife, maybe try Pecards Antique Leather Dressing.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2022 at 2:45pm
Hahahaha damn. I’m not laughing at you, I’m laughing from disgust. Dang Sharon!! Guess that means you have to buy a new one
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2022 at 2:52pm
What in heaven’s name did you do to tick her off so bad?
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2022 at 6:20pm
What in heaven’s name did you do to tick her off so bad?

I forgot our @#$%&* anniversary again...............or maybe it was her birthday.................or maybe she's just a dingbat.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2022 at 7:15pm
I'm not sure anything will save it. Dishwasher detergent is designed to desolve organic materials like meat and grease. It would have soaked into the leather and is unlikely to have rinsed out completely. Good luck finding anything that will save it, If you do, please post the product name here. I'm sure there are many of use who would like to find such a product.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2022 at 8:41am
The remedy was simple.  I sanded the old dried up black leather w/ 150  grit sandpaper, down to fresh leather.  Not down to brand new leather but to the patina desired. Less than a millimeter. Didn't want the leather to be "brand new"; I wanted it to retain the "aged since 1944" appearance.  Will not put any sort of goo on it b/c that would darken the color.
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2022 at 9:49am
I should think that putting some sort of conditioner/nourisher to preserve the leather would be crucial to keep it from deteriorating, but I’m no expert. I used Lexol on the handle of my own Utica (as I have for everything from boots to jackets over the years), and it does a great job of restoring suppleness without imparting any sort of shift in color.

Edited by Pro Libertate - Nov 05 2022 at 10:12am
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2022 at 12:11pm
Wish I could be of some help.
There is an intereting thread on US Militaria about preserving leather

However two observations.
It is mostly from a conservator's points of view.  Leather that will be used in the field is different story, depending...

It depends on the leather.  The little I have learned and observed is that leather's properties vary considerably depending on the type of hide and the tanning process.  Therefore its hard to see how one single treatment or care method can apply to all leathers. 

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2022 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

It is mostly from a conservator's points of view.  Leather that will be used in the field is different story, depending...

If that is the thread I am thinking of the conservator found that the only product that did not darken leather eventually keeps turning white. I used whatever it was that was recommended on a leather sling and I never know if it has fungus or the white crap.

He later stated that they use nothing as nothing can replace whatever the dead animals skin needed.
That the best thing to do is store correctly.

I wish I had an answer, but I know I ruined some leather items by using items that were recommended 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2022 at 2:33pm
From Frank Trzaska's website.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2022 at 3:25am
the same clear leather grease they use on horse sadles, yes it makes it dark, but only untill it is dried up after a few days then the grease is in the leather

and buy a calender so you can write down things she thinks is important like her birthday and those kind of silly things
1944 national postal meter .30M1
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
 Post Reply Post Reply