Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Show Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Virginia Beach Oct 15-16 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2022 at 2:00pm

I do not think this was stamped. there appears to be "chatter" from a cutting tool.

Having experience with machining it looks as if it was in a lathe and the cutting tool was advanced too quickly and the cut-off tool flexed inward causing the depressed ring. When it snapped out it left a little piece of metal which can be seen in the outer ring.

the nipple in the middle is due to the tool being below center. This leaves what you see with the rest just snapping off.

when you push the odd side in, is it below flush in the trigger housing? If so this part would have been undersized and rejected. It is possible that someone that owned that safety made or modified it, who knows?

Here is the problem, look at the machining marks on the other side, they are not circular. Safety were sized on something like a cut off saw and not a lathe.

Edited by New2brass - Oct 26 2022 at 3:57pm
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2022 at 3:03pm
Just to save confusion chief, I believe Dan meant safety the two times he mentioned sear.hth
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2022 at 3:58pm
Jon, thank you! Fixed
Da1Chief View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da1Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2022 at 5:29pm
I realized that the pic I posted was the only good picture I have of it. Sorry didn’t mean to ask a question without all the information you would needed.

I will break out the good camera and try to provide you with better images.
I’m not discounting anything that has been said. I just want you to see what I’m seeing.

V/r
Sandy
Very respectfully,
Da1Chief
DPC,RMC,ITC(SW) USN Retired
Da1Chief View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da1Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2022 at 7:28pm
First let me say that I believe Dan hit the nail on the head with his diagnosis of someone had milled it.
I took my digital caliper out and took some measurements on it an another safety I had.  Measurements and pictures are below.  It is a little smaller that an original EPB I have in Blondie.

The results the Safety in Question measured as follows:
Overall Length = 0.690 in., 17.71 mm
Overall width = 0.3085 in, 7.83 mm

Spare Safety measured as Follows:
Overall Length = 07.25 in., 17.85mm
Overall Width = 0.312 in., 7.93 mm

With the Face of the Safety being the one that would have been marked by the manufacturer (IP-A, IP-W etc..), I can't say if it is original or a reproduction.  So, that being said I guess I will be on the lookout for a "Real" IP Safety.. Not so big of a smile....

Thank you everyone of the input and help.....

V/r
Sandy

Very respectfully,
Da1Chief
DPC,RMC,ITC(SW) USN Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234