The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1940's M1 Carbine as a modern rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1940's M1 Carbine as a modern rifle
    Posted: Jul 01 2022 at 9:21am
I've been working on a few carbines and thanks to the generous people of this forum and (may he rest in peace) great Carbine, guy Larry Ruth I've managed to update them all to the the latest configuration buy military 1944 standards. M2 magazine latch, all new updated bolt assemblies, newer type hammers, sights and barrel bands.

So far over 500 rounds each, no failures. The thing that amazes me is that dropping a brand new bolt into a 79 years old rifle that has been through 2 rebuilds at least, fits perfectly. What an accomplishment, that these recievers are still in tolerance nearly 80 years later. 

These rifles had been through 2 wars before I was born. 
David Milisock
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2022 at 3:09pm
How many carbines have you tested, and what was their manufacturer?
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2022 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

How many carbines have you tested, and what was their manufacturer?

I've worked with a total of 8 now, 2 of my own and six for other people.  I look at them, make a list of parts, I always recommend a spring kit and send the owners to a smith that I know. People think the AR is modular and it is for accessories but the standard rifle no more than the M1 Carbine.

My 2 are, 1 Inland and 1 Quality Hardware. The last 2 were an Inland and a Winchester.  If I remember correctly 1 was an Underwood and 1 was a Rockola and the rest were Inland.

My 2 and the last 2 I'm sure get shot more than the others but none could not be brought back to fully functional. 

David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2022 at 6:26pm
I would have no issue using one of my USGI Carbines in a SHTF world outside of finding ammo after I use my stash. They've seen recent service checks and a couple have new barrels that shoot better than I do Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply