The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RA52 Bandoleer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RA52 Bandoleer
    Posted: Jun 02 2022 at 11:54pm
My Brother gave me a 120 rd bandoleer with RA52 rounds in clips. Looks in fine condition, brass is untarnished despite the age, and what appears to be the original cardboard strips still separate the 2-packs. The lot numbers/markings are generally legible on the fabric.
Is this something that some of you would consider collectible, i.e., would my kids stamp on my grave in 30 years if I shoot it up and reload the brass instead of treating the bandoleer like a safe queen?
I am not an ammunition collector, but would like to make sure I don't break up something that may be considered of historical interest.

P.S. to strengthen my appearance of ignorance: Does the RA headstamp designate Remington?

V/R
T R
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2022 at 12:02am
Yes, many would consider that ammo collectible and yes RA= Remington Arms, the 52 is the year it was produced.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2022 at 8:25am
I would say less collectable than WW2 produced but still RA is not that commonly seen -vs- Lake City. WW2 era will always be more collectable IMO.
Someone had a full 600rd spam can of RA51 for sale on CMP forum that sat for a while before selling $425.
Its not getting any younger either. If you decide to shoot it I wouldn't feel too guilty about it.
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2022 at 11:20am
It is true that it is less collectible than world war II ammunition but it is still great vintage Korean war collectible ammunition. I would hang on to it since more recent lake City can be had. Just my two cents
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2022 at 12:03pm
Appreciate the thoughts. I will keep it in an ammo can and hold on to it for now: still have plenty of brass for reloading. It is interesting that the retail price of new commercial .30 carbine is more currently more per round than the legacy RA51 that our friend from Wisconsin mentions above.
Thanks
Tim
T R
 Post Reply Post Reply