The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement springs, firing pins and extractors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement springs, firing pins and extractors
    Posted: May 17 2022 at 5:16pm
I had the bolts dressed up a bit, replaced the extractors, firing pins and every spring in two rifles. The total cost was $150 and the results were good. The extraction is at about 3 foot out at about 2 o'clock, the chambering and firing process is flawless from both 15 andv30 round magazines.  Both rifles have the M2 magazine latch.
David Milisock
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 10:27am
The extraction is at about 3 foot out at about 2 o'clock,

I assume that means the empty casing is thrown up and away from the carbine at a consistent ~ 2 o'clock direction and lands 3 feet away?  My carbine throws brass anywhere in a 360 degree radius.  I suppose that is not normal, so what's the remedy?  I suspect all the springs etc. are the original 79 y/o parts and need replacing?
Thanks in advance.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 10:55am
Will never hurt to change the springs out. Mine eject pretty consistently, but occasionally I will get one gets chucked out seemingly at random. 
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 11:18am
Thanks guys.  Having consistent extractions will be a great help w/ retrieving brass for reloading.  As it stands now I'm finding only 75% of empties; the rest is lost to the weeds around my bench.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 11:57am
The springs were Wolf, extra power on the recoil spring, the other parts were from Numerich, all new manufacturer.  Yes the extraction was of fired cases.

These are shooters and since I was born 13 years after they were designed and 10 years after the latest barrel stamp I can only assume they function like new.

Ammo was some older H110 reloads with 110 grain Hornady SP.
David Milisock
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 11:59am
I had put some muzzle brakes on them and checking for zero and function. 100 rounds and I lost 1 piece of brass in the grass. Still burns my butt! Smile
David Milisock
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 4:00pm
Hey Rebel92.
Yep.  Replaced springs in bolt and now have ejections 3 o'clock w/ very few 12 o'clockers.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 6:11pm
That's the ticket!
David Milisock
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 6:35pm
And thanks to you also David; you started the thread.
I too get really upset when I can't find spent brass.  I get angry, then depressed, I drink too much and wife Sharon hides the kitchen knives.

Thank you! 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 9:06pm
Poor Sharon. I bet she has seen some things in her time with you :). I’m gonna start bringing a white sheet when I go out to shoot, and *hopefully* my brass will land on it and make my pregnant wife’s job easier of finding and picking up my brass after I shoot. Tongue
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

And thanks to you also David; you started the thread.
I too get really upset when I can't find spent brass.  I get angry, then depressed, I drink too much and wife Sharon hides the kitchen knives.

Thank you! 

I'm glad to help your wife! 😀😀😀

My Inland has been used alot and the bolt has been replaced. I'm happy with its reliability.  My Quality Hardware has been less used and has a Choate stock with an M4 adjustable butt which has improved the shoot ability for me and its very reliable. 

There are handguards available that have rails on them so they're both going to get that and Holosun red dot sights.

Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. The team who designed the 30 Carbine sure got the bear with their work. If they could see how viable their little rifle is today 81 years later I believe it would make them smile.
David Milisock
 Post Reply Post Reply