The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Round bolt question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round bolt question
    Posted: May 04 2022 at 8:30pm
One of my bolts has this “groove” under the left bolt lug. My only other round bolt doesn’t have this. Is this “as designed” or from excessive use, or something else?

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 11:02pm
I’ve looked online and the other round bolts I found for sale don’t appear to have it.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 11:30pm
It is a poor machining tolerance. look to the left of it and then the face of the bolt, the bolt had a protrusion to pick up the bolt. When they machined between the ramp and the lug the milling was a little bit deeper
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 5:07am
That bolt is defective Ethan….you should mail
it to me and I will dispose of it safely….😁.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 8:48am
Yeah Roger it’s on its way! Just send me your address and a time when nobody will be home and I’ll drop it off 

Dan, so I can just ignore it then right?
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 9:35am
It functions just fine. But dont want somethin crazy to happen with it down the road. 
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 10:39am
I would if it were mine. That particular area doesn't really matter in the function of the bolt.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 2:49pm
Agree with JD,
Bolt just rotates on that left lug.
The 'over milled' area doesn't really contact anything, just rotates to the center/bottom during cycle.

I found my picture of some IO blued round bolts (this is the best view with no flash)
You'll probably have to open it in a new window to magnify to see that the 4th bolt from the left: IO 3
Looks to be similar to yours. Mine maybe 'Over Milled' a bit farther back than your example.
I'd use it with no worries.

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 3:04pm
I am not so sure that area is over milled. It may be the ramp area was not deep enough?
either way I do not thing a critical area.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 3:13pm
Over Milled

Used to describe the location.
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2022 at 11:22am
Thank yall for the info
 Post Reply Post Reply