Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Cheers or Jeers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FYI: Scammer on GB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2022 at 12:19am
"Buyer Beware" - Buyer Be Aware

Cheers or Jeers is intended to be a place where a buyer can go to become aware and beware.

Most of the Jeers found here have to do with suspected or known squirrelly business practices of various degrees. Some of which may turn out to be legit. This area is intended as a place where people can go to learn and get help sorting things out.

The "seller" this thread was started for was not a seller. He was a thief whose specific intent was to pose as a legit seller, using images and info from other auction sites. Baiting victims into giving him money. Those victims being gun owners like everyone on this forum and those who read this Cheers or Jeers section. I suspect he hacked the Gunbroker account of another gun owner to do this.

Where Gunbroker failed was not having a system in place to deal with this thief once people tried to make them aware of it. The thief knew this by listing the "auctions" when Gunbroker had a limited staff or no one working (Sat & Sun). The end result being more than a dozen more victims, all Gunbroker customers, due to the irresponsible business practices of Gunbroker.

"I have way better things to do than contact GB or some other auction site every time some self righteous, do-gooder sees an auction with real or imagined issues.

This statement was vague enough that I wasn't certain if it was a reference to my actions, someone else on this thread, or something somewhere else. Obviously, some folks here read it as directed at the people and actions on this thread. It does seem that his response here is in direct conflict with why this part of the forum exists ... "a place where a buyer can go to become aware and beware".

The "issue" this thread is about was definitely real. Gunbroker wasn't available to deal with it. I also have better things to do than try to deal with it. Initially I opted to stay out of it. That changed when I learned it wasn't just a couple victims and nothing was being done about it. The better things I had to do could wait. It took a little time to see what I could do to help others from becoming victims. Then did it and wished I would have done it sooner. Then let it go for Gunbroker and law enforcement to deal with but shared how I did it here as a means of making people here aware of how they might be able to deal with it in the future.

One difference with me that some here also share, I've been involved in law enforcement in one form or another since 1975. After I retired from one part of that career I became a licensed PI. I'm not available for hire. The work I do is part time for two particular companies and limited in scope. It has helped fund the research and efforts I've been making here.

I'm now an old guy with a strong interest in staying far away from courtrooms and lawyers. I try to focus on creating and playing in more productive and constructive environments. But, I'm not gonna ignore something as blatant as this when I can do something to put a stop to it. Then pass it on for Gunbroker and law enforcement to deal with.

That someone else with better things to do wants to ignore it is not something I'm critical about. Criticism for how I deal with something is something I have a lot of experience with. Particularly from people whose better things to do are often being critical of others.

I don't know that this was the case with the post mentioned. Don't really care. The point of this post is to confirm why this area of the forum exists and try to encourage others to help one another and others to keep from becoming victims by sharing experiences and information. To ignore the critics and keep things constructive. Pool those strengths and not any weaknesses and we just might accomplish something worthwhile.

Jim

Edited by sleeplessnashadow - Apr 27 2022 at 12:39am
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2022 at 12:39am
Just right and nicely said.
I’m learning all the time here and see a lot of good examples to follow, this is a good one
V/r

T R
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2022 at 9:27am
BTW, I never said the issue wasn't real, obviously it exists, but to what degree? While there does seem to be an uptick in these type fraudulent ads, how many are ultimately successful is the question? I believe the total number of the unfortunate victims are low, maybe really low. Buyers have to be savy in today's market and most of the ones I know are, with some help offered along the way.

One more note: I would hope we all have better things to do in our lives other than to deal totally with the many different aspects of the M1 carbine, in other words it shouldn't be the center of anyone's universe. I've been there (and left to some degree) and it is an occasionally unhappy place at times. Put it all in the proper perspective is my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12