The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Magtech at the Range

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magtech at the Range
    Posted: Apr 19 2022 at 9:43pm
This is a comparison of my shooting with Magtech FMJ versus Korean surplus PSD 86.

All fired prone, unsupported.
Ten shots on each target,  starting with Magtech on the low target and PSD on the high target.
Patched/marked the targets and then fired Magtech on the upper and PSD on the lower.
Attached image is digital assemblage of all 4.  Magtach in bluish and PSD in green.

Temperatures around 50 F.  Wind gusts 20 to 30 mph but it  mostly coming from 4:30 - 5 oclock relative to shooting direction and didnt seem that noticible when I was shooting these four targets.
Carbine is an SG with flip sights as that is what I'm going to use this weekend at a match.

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 10:30pm
Did you find that locally? Haven’t seen much 30 carbine listed online lately. 
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 6:54am
Matt, thanks for the report. Interesting. Such small differences don't mean much to me , but that's because I'm an occasional plinker and not a particularly accurate one at that. Heck, I can rarely notice a difference in any of the types of 30 carbine ammo that I shoot. 

I do like reading others range reports. Smile
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

Mail order from Miwall back in early Feb.   Price was good and figured if it worked out availability should be OK. Reality has been as you know quite different than my prediction...

Don, Thanks.  A little followup on the results above.
A couple weeks later shot the Magtech through my Underwood with the adjustable sight.  My hope was that the Magtech would hit center of target with the sight elevation set to 100 yds. 

My buddy was able to get his shots pretty close to center at 100 yards on a US Army 'A' target with 12" bullseye.  But he told me he was covering the entire bull with the front sight. 

So I *think* the magtech shoots higher than the PSD 86, and it may be simply that this Underwood's front sight is a little too tall.  Next experiment will be to try 6 oclock hold with the elevation at 200.   I probably should have done it that day but for me it was a casual day at the range.  He wanted to scope in his hunting rifle and I brought the carbines for him to shoot as his dad had qualified on carbine in WW2.  Then we shot revolvers just because the 25 yrd lanes were open.     

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2022 at 10:24am
Possible Problem ?

Two of the shells I collected after yesterday's match had lost their primer cups.
At first I thought maybe these were not mine as I picked up a PSD 86 and a LC 67.  I've not shot LC so clearly I'm not the only carbine shooter whose used that range.
This morning I checked the bag of other Magtech brass and found one of them missing a primer cup.

Why does this happen?  Where does it go?
Does it effect accuracy/velocity? 

possible lot number (on the box) B00914 L-165
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2022 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

I saw 1 box of Magtech at a LGS last week for $37 bucks. I was going to get it just to try it even at that price but someone else beat me to it. 

I'm going to keep my eye out for it at this LGS. Price sucks but it's the 1st .30 Carbine ammo I've seen all year
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2022 at 11:16am
Matt, look at this old CMP thread.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2022 at 11:21am
Yep, Magtech has been called out before. This is usually head space or ammo. If the carbine does not demonstrate the problem with all ammo….it has to be the ammo.  

A measurement of sized cases will tell if it’s short, which renders long head space.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2022 at 1:42pm
Thanks.  I don't have the vernier caliper at the house but made a visual comparison of the cases between two flat surfaces.  The three missing primer cups look shorter.  Exact measurement later this week.

Headspace for this carbine (UEF) and bolt (CU) combination was 1.294" using the Scotch method.  Would not rotate closed at 1.297". Doubt it changed in a couple hundred rounds. 

(edit fixed typo and adding the following)
Repeated the visual comparison using PSD brass (which may or may not have been fired by the same carbine).    Same result.

Note one PSD primer cup is slightly proud.

Edited by Matt_X - Oct 24 2022 at 1:59pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2022 at 1:58pm
I will say that I have shot close to 1000 rounds of magtech ammo with no issues, actually really liked the way it shot. I guess it is possible that I just didn't notice any blown out primers if I had any.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2022 at 2:01pm
It's possible that I've picked up someone elses casings.   The LC 67 I found proves that not all 30 carbine brass is mine. LOL
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2022 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

I will say that I have shot close to 1000 rounds of magtech ammo with no issues, actually really liked the way it shot. I guess it is possible that I just didn't notice any blown out primers if I had any.

I didn't notice the one from last Tuesday until I went back and looked through what I picked up.
Interesting that not one was partially out like pictured in the CMP thread.
Hard to know if this is a 'soft brass' situation as argued in the CMP thread, and/or the result of short cases. Maybe also the primer cup to case interference isn't as tight.  When the brass hit the ground, maybe the cup came out then?  

I'll say many of the rounds ejected forward (1 to 2 o'clock) which is nice IMO.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2022 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

I saw 1 box of Magtech at a LGS last week for $37 bucks. I was going to get it just to try it even at that price but someone else beat me to it. 

I'm going to keep my eye out for it at this LGS. Price sucks but it's the 1st .30 Carbine ammo I've seen all year

That's about the same as mail order stores Sportsman's Guide and Miwall were asking last week.  A new batch must have come through.
I paid just under 25 a box back around January.  Might have been old stock they got hold of, or a small batch came in.  Shipping from Miwall added around $7 a box.

FWIW More recently I bought a large batch of .380 reloads from Miwall for a class.  Of the 400 rounds I've used, there were three primers that did not go off on the first strike.  One failed to fire with two strikes.  But the price was very good and no other issues, so for me was fine for the purpose.   I think this is the risk with small commercial reloaders and so I've been hesitant to buy any for the M1 carbine.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2022 at 2:40pm
Matt, look at post #4 on this new CMP thread, he mentions primers coming out of the cases with magtech ammo. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2022 at 3:09pm
The lot number on his box is CB0504 L-0251.
The lot number on my boxes is B00914 L-165
It does suggest there is some sort of problem with Magtech's brass or how well the primers seat. 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2022 at 1:03pm
Using a vernier caliper:
Case length for all three Magtechs that lost their primers is 1.280"
Diameter at the base is .357 to .358"

Of seven random cases that kept their primers, legths measured 1.278 to 1.287" with three at 1.280"
base diameter of same ranged from .355 to .357, mostly the former.

The LC 67 I picked up (not mine) was 1.278" long and .355" base dia.
Of three random PSD 86 cases are length 1.280, 1.285, and 1.282" long and  base dia .355"

Based on the soot residue, there is no evidence gas or flame pushed past cup.  Yes there was soot on the extractor workings, but thats not been unique to the Magtech.   With the PSD there is also a ring of primer sealant on the bolt face. 

I still have some Magtech and will continue using it until its gone.  Probably won't buy more, at least for a while.  I have some LC71  to experiment with next, and qill be keeping an eye out for what else becomes available that might be suitable for matches.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2022 at 1:51pm
One might think most of those cases are short, but they will be as-fired. You can still get an idea of case length comparison as long as it’s fired-case-to-fired-case.

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2022 at 9:08am
Used 35 magtach yesterday, recovered 29 cases - all looked fine.
Also used 15 PSD, recovered 14, and found an LC4. 
Temperatures in the low to mid 40s.
 Post Reply Post Reply