Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Info On Federal Ordnance Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belairbrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info On Federal Ordnance Carbine
    Posted: Apr 09 2022 at 6:07pm
I have this Carbine made by Federal Ordinance.  I was trying to date it with the info here and ended up sending an email to the site admins.

So that email was based to a guy named Jim and he asked that I post some pics of the receiver. So here they are.

Edited by W5USMC - Apr 09 2022 at 11:46pm
US Air Force Retired
CAGC Member
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2022 at 9:33pm
Brian

Thanks for sharing your info and pics.

I have info on 34 FedOrd carbines with various quality pics saved for 23 of them but not showing everything.

We know the 4 prefix signifies 1984 and the 5 prefix started in 1985 but may have continued into 1986. I assume from the markings s/n 24-240 was 1986 or later.

All of the receivers have consistently been the same. They appear to have been cast using the same mold. Info from an employee was the foundry they used was Ecrimesa in Spain. Barrels have consistently been a new barrel inserted into the rear half of a demilled carbine barrel having the GI gas piston cylinder and threads for engaging the receiver. A legit method for making barrels if done correctly. Parts have been a combination of GI and commercially manufactured.

The difference in the receivers has only been the manner in which the markings were applied. I don't consider this significant enough to warrant labeling them as type 1, type II, etc.

40003-50992

Receiver ring markings cast with the receiver mold

Letters were stamped.

Receiver ring markings cast with the receiver mold, same as above

Letters were engraved

51781-51820 & 24-240

Receiver ring markings cast with the receiver mold. There was a change in the name plate they used inside the mold. we don't know if the ML vs M1 was intentional vs a mistake or flaw. A U.S. foundry has also done the ML on receivers they made for iai and Auto Ordnance.

Letters were cast with the mold.

Serial numbers were stamped by FedOrd throughout production. The stamped circled F shows up s/n 51614 and thereafter.

The name plates used to cast markings are fairly easily changed inside the mold. Sometimes they wear out and have to be replaced.

I suspect FedOrd made the decision to start casting their name and location so they didn't have to waste time stamping them. At the same time they swapped out the name plate for the receiver ring markings.

As far as a date when yours was made the 5 prefix cinches it as 1985. Since it's the lowest so far I'm guessing early 1985.

Hope this helps. Thanks again, I'll be updating the FedOrd web page to show the new low for the 5 prefix.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply