The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy in AL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belairbrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy in AL
    Posted: Apr 09 2022 at 5:55pm
I think this all started with a simple 22. I collect Marlins. Had spent years looking for a 99 M1 or M2.  One day at a gun show I find a guy selling off his dads collection (didn't care for guns) and there was a 99M1 (bottom in picture). Bought it of course.  

Then while looking for M2 i started noticing M1 Carbines. And one day I see one that was a little ugly and way too cheap. So I ask the guy about it and he explains it's not a GI issue but a commercial made from spare parts by Federal Ordinace.  OK that explained the $400 asking price. Figured why not and $350 later it was mine.

I get that it is looked down on by some, but now that it works it is fun to shoot. And now I'm looking for a WWII version.

Getting this thing working was abit of a chore and without all the information and animations here, it probably wouldn't be working now.

First time out it wouldn't cycle.  So I learned how to replace a gas piston.
Second time out It cycled but the hammer was following the bolt up and not cocking.
Took the trigger group apart and examined each piece under a microscope.  Found an elongated pin hole in the trigger and a well rounded sear.  Figured I might as well change the hammer  and all the springs too. And While I was at it I went through the bolt.  

Took it out and it runs perfectly.

US Air Force Retired
CAGC Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2022 at 8:58am
We embrace all the M1 carbines, variants, and copies!
 Post Reply Post Reply