The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Repairing M1A1 leather cheekpads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repairing M1A1 leather cheekpads
    Posted: Apr 02 2022 at 2:54pm
I've been looking at what appears to be an early M1A1 that went thru rearsenal with an upgraded type 3 rear sight and barrel band clamp. From pictures it looks like a pretty good example with a heavy patina (haven't seen it in person yet), but the leather cheek pad is badly damaged (steel rivets, possibly original leather).

Is there good way to repair? Any source of USGI replacement leather and rivets? Or would you leave it as is as a historical piece?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2022 at 4:12pm
Just saw the rivets on ebay yesterday, think the seller was (gunsdora), also think that the seller from France (nenel3) has the leather but it is pricey, you could probably find a piece of leather that would work. Someone posted instructions on how to do the leather replacement on one of the forums a couple of years ago, can't remember which one.
My opinion is if the current damaged leather is original, then I would probably leave it alone.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply