The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To all you reloaders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To all you reloaders
    Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 1:21pm
Any of you deviating from the official Cartridge Overall Length (C.O.L.) for accuracy or feeding issues?  My QHMC ocassionally hangs a feed at the feed ramp/chamber interface.  Off the shelf Sellier & Bellot COL = 1.656".  Remedy is an abrupt push forward to the slide handle w/ heel of hand.  Magazine is presumably WWII stock in unopened cosmoline-soaked paper when purchased; marked IS.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 2:37pm
I shoot everything from spec oal down to 86-grain Mauser bullets and hollow-points seated to oal of 1.620. Gonna depend on the carbine feed ramp as well. I never touch a feed ramp, but do create magazines that feed about anything.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 5:49pm
You could have one of several different issues.
1. 1 weak recoil spring.
2. a rough feed ramp.
3. a bullet shape that YOUR carbine isn't happy with.
4. if it happens with just one mag, you may need to open up the feed lips just a tiny bit.
5. and excessively strong recoil spring that isn't allowing a full distance recoil on the bolt.

I'd say the most likely is the bullet shape and second a minor mag problem.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 8:19pm
From experience smokepoles comment on bullet ogive was a big one for me on one of my carbines. 
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 8:00am
I load for two shooter carbines, I replaced the mag catches with M2 type,  replaced all springs and do a light lubrication. 

My springs are all Wolf and extra power recoil springs. The load is very near max of LilGun. The projectiles are all Hornady, 110 grain, soft point round nose or FMJ.

My 30 Carbines are as reliable as my A2 A2 5.56 and my AR M4E in 6MMARC.
David Milisock
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 8:04am
Smokpole got it right.  I have three 15 round mags. At purchase all 3 were still wrapped and sealed in the USGI cosmoline-soaked paper.  These are brand spanking new USGI mags.  One Marked "U" the other 2 marked "IS".  While all 3 fully loaded I slid the cartridges out of the "U" magazines with no resistance at all.  Not so w/  "IS" #1 mag.: very difficult to slide the cartridges out; had to use force (the cartridge would hang up about halfway outa the mag., 'zackly where it would hang while feeding into the chamber).  Similarly w/ the other "IS" #2 but somewhat easier.  Put the caliper on identical landmarks of the feeder lips and here is what I found.
"U" =      0.540"
"IS"#1 = 0.530"
"IS"#2 = 0.536"
I will somehow spread the feeder lips to conform to the "U" 0.540" configuration and see what on the shooting range.  Won't be today b/c its fixin' to rain cats and dogs here at the house. 

"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 11:30am
Interesting.  A few months ago I bought a supposedly like new Union and three Seymores.
Both the Union and one of the SS's had failures to feed in my SG.
As far as front lip openings go I measured.
U  = 0.520
SS = 0.484
Compared to another SS = 0.521"
and an OSG which works = 0.517"

There is damage to the lips from filing or ?? that has made the edge too rough and the angles look worn.  :(

The rear lips are supposed to be 0.460"
At the widest opening point = 0.640 plus minus .015"

Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 12:15pm
I placed the mag. between cloth padded vice jaws and cranked down just enough to keep the mag. standing up w/o squeezing the mag.  Slide a snap-ring expander pliar between the lips and widened the lips ever so slightly (be careful it's easy to go too far [remedied w/ pliars to close lips ever so slightly])

Measured: 0.544 and 0.549
Wow how much easier to load the magazine!
Bottom line is if you can push the cartridge out of the mag. w/ your thumbnail you are where you want to be whereas yesterday it required a screwdriver to do so.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2022 at 2:47pm
Everything will be perfect…..until you drop it on the pavement.😁
 Post Reply Post Reply