Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock identification
    Posted: Jan 21 2022 at 8:00pm
Hello all:)

I recently acquired a 1944 standard products carbine, though late has early type 2 band and flip sight which is after examination is original to the rifle. Stock is the only probable no period correct, as it is a I cut high wood stock. Problem is markings in sling well are not visible no more, though some are present in barrel channel and near magazine well.Hope you lads can help me:)

Thanks to all for your time i appreciate very much
Taraw1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taraw1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2022 at 8:05pm
Can you show Pics of the stock cut, right butt and whole profile and overall contours?
I really like carbines
nordland View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2022 at 8:54pm
Hope they can help :)

Stock was overhauled at std prod. RWH :)
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2022 at 7:11am
WRA
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2022 at 9:50am
Winchester for sure. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2022 at 10:47am
Did WRA also put markings in the barrel channel?

@nordland, are the slots deeper at the top and bottom of the oiler cut?

nordland View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2022 at 12:44pm
Yes the slots are deeper at top and bottom of the I :)
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2022 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Did WRA also put markings in the barrel channel?

@nordland, are the slots deeper at the top and bottom of the oiler cut?

Yes, the same letters and numbers that showed up on the underside channel of their handguards.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2022 at 1:46pm
Very good! Interesting to see all three locations marked.
I am guessing the markings in the barrel channel are early or first block. The 5 million update does not mention it.
Later we se the markings on the side ledge. Late it seems to be limited to the bridge.
nordland View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2022 at 11:02am
So as i can understand, it is manufactured by Winchester?:p
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2022 at 11:09am
Originally posted by nordland nordland wrote:

Yes, it is a Winchester stock.

Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

I am guessing the markings in the barrel channel are early or first block. 

Dan, I have two Winchester type II stocks both of which have letters stamped in the barrel channel. So maybe a 1st block stamping but not necessarily an early 1st block stamping.  

Edited by W5USMC - Jan 23 2022 at 11:47am
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2022 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by nordland nordland wrote:

Each stock maker's methods and machines produced differences. 
For example here's a group of stocks Painter777 refinished.

See if you can pick out the two Winchesters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Underwood Type II cut to Lo-wood. MU. partial GHD/UEF with CC all in the box.
IBM Type I to Low wood.                        RMC B with Ghost of a CC. Patch on right rail.
S'G' Now a Low wood. RSG.                    Good boxed S'G' stamping but with a Ghost of CC.
WRA Low wood.                                   Just the CC but a very nice one.
WRA Highwood           WRA/GHD Winchester with CC, lightly stamped...barrel channel chip repaired.
Q RMC Type II Hi-wood     partial CC. Clear marking but slightly raised.
RMC Type II                    RMC and partial CC.
taken from https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=16106&p=85465&viewfull=1#post85465

There's more, but that gives you an idea of what folks are looking at in addition to the stamps.
nordland View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2022 at 9:58pm
Some other part i dont get is that i was overhauled at std prod rwh but only the stock seems to have been touched by taking off the high wood section, the rest of the rifle is original.

Serial 221x xxx has original type 1 band and rear flip sight, matalurgist examined the chisel marks and they prove to have been done light years ago, and no sign of bayonet lug on the barrel either, have you ever seen this?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2022 at 10:16pm
nordland, you know that your stock was on a carbine that was rebuilt by STD PROD, but there is no telling when that particular stock was put on your carbine, a previous owner may have replaced the original stock with the one you have on it now. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Taraw1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taraw1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2022 at 10:18pm
possibly stock was swapped out later at a depot.  In other posts is mentioned that the navy carbine were mainly early features.  T1, T2 bands, flip sights left alone.  Apparently the navy wanted everything consistent.  didn't use bayonets for carbines.  Even have reports of the Lugs cut off of T3 bands by Navy Ord depots.      Can't have honor guards with 9 lug less carbines and one with.
I really like carbines
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2022 at 8:10am
How about posting some pics of the carbine.
nordland View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2022 at 8:51pm
Here you go buddy!

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2022 at 4:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply