Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Missing markings, weird handguard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb1954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missing markings, weird handguard
    Posted: Jan 19 2022 at 12:20pm
Hi all,
To the experts out there... here's a little background on my inherited M1 Carbine:
Handed down from my dad after he passed 5 years ago, I am just now taking a close look at this piece out of the case.
Dad, was not a collector per se, he just loved WWII as he was a kid during its tenure. Over many years he bought the 3 main arms from that war. 1911 Colt 45 sidearm, M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine.

I am assuming he bought these from a reputable dealer or collector, or could have gotten them at shows.
I wasn't around to witness those times.

Cutting to the quick, my interest now is in the Carbine. Not sure if he bought this piece as it stands now, or cobbled it together if it was missing pieces or in disrepair.

I've spent a little time on the web researching a bunch of things, and we all know there's a helluva lot to learn and decipher on what constitutes a correct, vintage arm as this.

I will supply 3 pix here that need some clarification as they are glaring "red flags"  I will call them, as far as originality goes.

The most important thing here is that I'm fairly certain my dad did not care too much about correctness and matchy-matchy stuff. He just wanted it to be a reliable, working shooter.

One big telltale is the fact I'm 99% sure the stock was refinished. My dad was a superior woodworker and this walnut stain looks just too damn nice and the grain, too damn smooth for a untouched original. I really don't think he cared and couldn't resist a great refinish on this.

All this being said, I hope some of you experts can find the time to help me answer a couple simple questions: Where is the US Gov. stamping info at the front of the receiver? It truly looks like it was never touched unless a master gunsmith filed it off. If so, for what reason? The Saginaw stamping looks legit at the rear. 
Lastly,... never found a place where you could buy a solid, un-notched handguard. So, what's up with this?

I will gladly supply other photos and info if this query drums up some interest.

Thanks very much to all,

New member– Robb

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2022 at 12:37pm
Stock looks like it was stained at some point, is that receiver drilled and tapped for a scope mount on the left side? There is a huge gap between the stock and the receiver on the left, common when a side scope mount was attached. Rear sight is installed backwards. Receiver front ring may have had the markings removed for some reason. Commercial handguard, like used on some Universals, stock maybe commercial too. 

Edited by W5USMC - Jan 19 2022 at 12:54pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2022 at 3:40pm
Interesting marking on the extractor. Better pic?
Robb1954 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb1954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2022 at 4:06pm
W5USMC:
Thanks for your immediate response! All comments noted. (I did forget to mention I noticed the back site was in backwards.)
Based on your comments, It's becoming clearer that my dad didn't care about getting this piece to original specs. I will now send more photos to better illustrate just exactly what I have and maybe I can come to some understanding of what I need to do to assemble a truer stock original specs carbine. I am very into originality and matching parts. Sounds so far like a long road ahead. 
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2022 at 6:26pm
Welcome to the forum. Many carbines are mysteries that encourage us to further research. Looking forward to seeing more pictures!
-Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply