Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winchester 6,508,480

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

I must be dense. I just cannot see any difference in any of them. I can spot “humped” parts pretty good, but the cartouches I cannot see. I did compare my I cut rockola stock to this one and could see a few differences. And my others are so worn I cannot tell. 

So with the picture I PM'd you along with the things to check against your CC, you don't see any difference when comparing side by side? Look closer :)
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 4:57pm
Yes I do, but i still feel like I am not seeing all there is to see. I cannot ID the "error" in the winnie CC cartouche that the fakers fail to utilize. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can remedy it.   
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 5:09pm
I looked at both of my correct winnys, my CC are different then yours. I have a 5mil and 6mil winny
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 5:23pm
think im gonna have it fixed. will post new pics here in the next few days. 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 6:25pm
got a new stock. I have a question though, it is a very very tight fit in regards to getting the barrel band to slide over the stock and the retaining spring. Like so tough, had to tap it using my rubber handles scewdriver to tap the bayonet lug down onto the stock. Is this normal, or what’s my issue 
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 8:15pm
That’s not normal, I’ve had a couple that were tight, but never that tight until recently I got an IBM that the barrel band is slightly bent and it’s so tight it almost doesn’t move 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 9:07pm
I backed the screw as far as it would go on the barrel band and it slipped over easier, but still very very tight. Barrel band isn’t bent. Not sure why it’s so tight. It fits on handguard and all that very good. 
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 8:26am
Some are tighter like this and I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Especially a stock that hasn't been sanded since original mfg. and not taken apart or used much. Think of it as a good thing. Of course you shouldn't have to force it but it sounds like with the screw open it goes on ok. This has been my observation on some minty later issue carbines and stocks that I have handled.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 9:31am
Makes Sense GotSnlB. I dont think this one has been sanded at all. recoil plat sits well below wood.

And on my other stocks, I dont have to back the screw out as far as this one, I had to back it out as far as it can possibly go. it is still very tight. 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 9:33am

Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 11:00am
What does your barrel hang look like with the action in this new stock?
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 2:02pm

Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 4:22pm
Looks like it went on without gouging the wood on the nose or anything like that, I would consider that good that it's tight, especially if you're going to be shooting it. That is an interesting rear sight, I have never seen one with a stud and a notch cut out in the peep to keep it from going off the front. I'm a newbie on this stuff so they may be common for all I know but I just thought it was interesting
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Jond41403 Jond41403 wrote:

That is an interesting rear sight, I have never seen one with a stud and a notch cut out in the peep to keep it from going off the front.

Think that is a common feature on the H in the Shield (Hemphill) stamped rear sights.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 7:22pm
Also common on J.A.O. (J.A. Otterbein) stamped rear sights.
JackP
PingCMP View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingCMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 8:49pm
FWIW, here's a pic of the cartouche on my 6.60 WRA. It's all original & mint, right down to the AI marked type 3 band and EI marked type 4 safety. I suspect it might have been a white bag carbine but have no evidence other than condition.

Charlie
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 9:07pm
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 10:00pm
Thanks guys for the info on the rear sights, I thought it looked awfully well done to be a bubba type thing but didn't know for sure. That's why I love carbines! All kinds of little subtle differences in things from different manufacturers. I don't see how you guys keep up with it all like you do haha
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 10:14pm
Here's one

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234