Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are carbine mags really that flimsy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skunk62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are carbine mags really that flimsy?
    Posted: Dec 28 2021 at 12:57am
I have read so many accounts and seen so may videos and TV shows where folks talk about how carbine mags supposedly are so flimsy and lack robustness. I even just watched a Youtube video where they interviewed some old man that is said to be a carbine expert and of course he spouted off the obligatory derogatory comment on how bad these mags are, always have been and always will be. 

Me being me, I just have to disagree in the same controversial way I just had to disagree with the assertion that so many W.W.II carbine wood stocks were made from precious and expensive walnut. If they almost all were walnut and nearly all stained the same way with a simple soaking or wipe down with boiled linseed, then why are so many different colors and shades? When walnut here in the states is unusually consistent for shade and color?

Some things I'll dispute and I'll stubbornly cling to my opinion no matter what. I just don't care. I'm irritatingly intransigent and unapologetic on some topics.

But getting back to the subject at hand, I don't find carbine magazines to be any less robust than hundreds of other magazines from other weapons I have experienced and handled. They are not the best for sure, but certainly I've seen a lot worse. I think the biggest issue with them is that they could have been more carefully designed and so many are assembled with the springs backwards. And also the followers are for sure not tip proof and get stuck a little at times. The followers are the worse thing about them. Somebody please redesign those, thank you. But certainly they are not all that fragile. You can disagree if you want or even bad mouth me but you won't change my mind. And I invite you to do so if you want or even agree with me. I've been wrong about a lot of stuff but I'm hard to convince once I make up my mind. 

The endless stories about GIs swapping them out for new ones all the time was probably simply because they were available and so yeah, why not get newer ones if you can? That doesn't mean they absolutely had to do so because they were falling apart or anything. I've yet to have one fall apart on me or turn into dust.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2021 at 5:42am
Carbine magazine construction can vary among manufacturers, some are stronger than others. The feed lips on USGI magazines are quite flimsy. They are very easy to tweak and bend as compared to others. Just compare one to say an M14, Sten or even a Mini 14 mag and you can notice the difference. Did they need to be any stronger….maybe not, but when compared to most any other pistol or rifle magazine, they are flimsy.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2021 at 11:48am
Originally posted by skunk62 skunk62 wrote:

If they almost all were walnut and nearly all stained the same way with a simple soaking or wipe down with boiled linseed, then why are so many different colors and shades? When walnut here in the states is unusually consistent for shade and color?

That was Raw Linseed Oil. Highly suggest that you read the book (The M1 Carbine a Revolution in Gun Stocking) 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2021 at 3:58pm
An army sergeant was asking his company the reason for the use of walnut in gunstocks. "It is
used because the wood is naturally dark and does not reflect light that would give us away when out in the field," said one soldier.

"It does not need to be stained," said another. "That saves one expensive and time-consuming process in the finishing."

"It is so hard that the screws will hold well in it," a third volunteered.

"Walnut wood is so hard and tough that the tolerances in the stock are between two and three thousandths of an inch, which is really close enough for metal," another soldier explained.

The sergeant looked as if he had not heard the right answer.

"It is very beautiful," ventured a young private.

"I know," another infantryman added, "Dampness doesn't affect walnut It doesn't swell if left in puddles of water or mud. That is very important to a soldier fighting in a wet foxhole.'.' · ·

"Those are all good reasons," the sergeant said. "But you still haven't given the right reason. Any more ideas'?"

"It doesn't mar easily," suggested someone.

"No, that's not it," said the sergeant. "I guess I'll have to tell you. Why do we use walnut gunstocks in the army? Because it's in the regulations!"

Raw Linseed oil or Pure Tung oil were also what was used.

Walnut was specified for USGI firearms, it was used on the Thompson, BAR, M1 rifle. It was in use during the Great War. Late in production Overton did try birch, but fro several reasons there was no advantage to it. Post war and into Korea we see some other wood used. There were carbine stocks made by other countries and are not really considered USGI.

Originally fine figured walnut was held back for making veneer for furniture. When there was a perceived shortage the fine figured wood was used to make stocks as well. They also approved secondary wood such as birch and cherry. This is the exception and not the rule!

Walnut can vary in color from tree to tree, and within the tree sapwood was very light  and heartwood was dark color and could have variation.
Most wood darkens over time, walnut gets lighter. The finish however, can darken

When there was a variation in the wood color it was to be stained to even it out.

this is from the IBM facility. Notice the variation of colors. Also note the nice grain stock on the left side of the picture.
IBM did get birch stocks. It seems they decided not to stain them?

As to your question on the magazines. They were made quick and cheap. They were semi disposable with over 600 million made.
15 rounds set the standard, yet today they are considered high capacity Ermm

Yep, 75 years old and many of them still work flawless. Those that saw a ton of use may need some help.

Post Reply Post Reply