Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland Div. 5017; adjunct to HammerGrunt's 3446

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland Div. 5017; adjunct to HammerGrunt's 3446
    Posted: Dec 11 2021 at 12:32pm
Gentlemen,
Up for your perusal and discussion is what I believe to be a 100% original 4-digit Inland. I decided to post this gun and sacrifice anonymity to help me with something of which I will discuss as the end. Also it is a perfect companion to the rifle that HammerGrunt posted not long ago. I purchased this from a gentleman 20+ years ago and I believe he lived in SC. The transaction was old school... phone discussions, certified check held until examination, and a no questions return policy. It was righteous and beautiful, so I kept it, even though the price was steep. My pictures don't do it justice. That original look that you all know just doesn't translate well with this format.

Notice the khaki sling with the very early narrow buckle. I believe that to be original to the sling as evidenced rust stain

Nice I-cut stock but without the big Inland cartouche as this gun is too early for that yet.

Ain't that something?  I see LA, O, some kind of little "glyph" at the bottom, and the little acceptance cartouche.  They would drag this stamp back out for the bottom of the pistol grip on the first generation M1A1's.

Unmarked narrow aperture sling swivel

Crush injury from type 1 band only

I won't remove it to find a marking.

Double bevel housing with early spring pin.

Early bolt with ejector and v-groove extractor.  I have the tool but I will not disassemble for markings for fear of losing or breaking something.

Deep groove with LA, O, and bomb.

Dogleg with H in a shield and bomb. Housing only has dogleg ding on the left rail.

I could not get a good picture of the following features. The slide has a PI in a circle. The long tab grooved mag catch is marked W-I.
     Now I need one of you guy who possesses crazy internet wizardry skills to help me find out about Maj Moegle(y). I can't tell if there is a Y on the end of the name or not. Please help as I have always wondered about this guy.

Feel free to ask questions.
Regards

Aim Small...Miss Small
Abel4287 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abel4287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2021 at 2:36pm
That may say Moeglein
USMC 2111
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2021 at 3:02pm
Agree with Abel4287, looks like it could be Moeglein. 3 enlistment records shown on NARA-ADD site for Moeglein, none show for any of the other spellings that I tried. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2021 at 3:23pm
Very nice carbine, thanks for the photos.
I agree with the above on the name, sure looks like Moeglein. In a quick search I found record of a Major General Chester Moeglein who served in WW2 and was a Major in August 1942 and in theater. Maybe?

https://books.google.com/books?id=934KSTBiZ6AC&pg=PA334-IA3&lpg=PA334-IA3&dq=major+general+chester+Moeglein+us+army&source=bl&ots=UGWVvtyz_b&sig=ACfU3U2jpmOjGIAXkSgmi0OhOi50vFACZw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi9ifCZxdz0AhXPWM0KHUIpDjQQ6AF6BAgxEAI#v=onepage&q=major%20general%20chester%20Moeglein%20us%20army&f=false page 334.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2021 at 3:43pm
That sounds like a decent possibility. 
The way I read the three enlisted records, none seem likely to have advanced to where they might have gone to OCS.   I suspect it more than chance that one of the three enlisted Moegleins is also from Minnesota.
I'm not sure about looking up commissioned officers on-line.  A while back I learned that Ancestory.com had digitized many USMC records but one must get a paid membership to access. I've been outting that off until I had time to make good use of it.   Long way of saying that Ancestory or similar organization may have digitized records for US Army officers.
rdftwo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2021 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Very nice carbine, thanks for the photos.
I agree with the above on the name, sure looks like Moeglein. In a quick search I found record of a Major General Chester Moeglein who served in WW2 and was a Major in August 1942 and in theater. Maybe?

Holy Crap....that's go to be him. I have been wondering about this for decades! Thank you...thank you...thank you.  The time line is perfect. I wonder where in Europe he was stationed?
Aim Small...Miss Small
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2021 at 4:20pm
rdftwo, have you filled out and submitted a data sheet on that carbine?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
rdftwo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2021 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

rdftwo, have you filled out and submitted a data sheet on that carbine?

No sir, I have not ...and will probably leave that up to guy that will eventually buy it.  My time and passion for that has lessened considerably. It took a lot of time, patience, cussing and bourbon to make this presentation happen.  It will probably be easier for the next one. I did learn that my old pool table makes a nice backdrop though.
Regards

Aim Small...Miss Small
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 1:24am
rdftwo

Keep an open mind on your Major. There was an Army Colonel Robert Moeglein that went up thru the ranks, starting as a 2nd Lt in 1941.

Online records do not include most of the USMC personnel. Your Moegein may have been a USMC Major.

Jim
rdftwo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 6:58am
Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

rdftwo

Keep an open mind on your Major. There was an Army Colonel Robert Moeglein that went up thru the ranks, starting as a 2nd Lt in 1941.

Online records do not include most of the USMC personnel. Your Moegein may have been a USMC Major.

Jim

Jim,
 GotSnlB plopped a big biography with a picture of Chester James Moeglein right in my lap. How would I find out about this Col. Robert Moeglein with my limited skills? I mean how many Moegleins could there have been?
Regards
Aim Small...Miss Small
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 7:33am
Very nice four digit Inland. BTW, don't get too consumed about the marking on the bottom of the pistol grip. There can be many different reasons of why it ended up there.
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 10:15am
is very nice original looking carbine--smile-you did well no matter what you paid
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2022 at 2:25pm
Thank you for posting this original early carbine. It is a candidate to be added to the Serial Number Spread Sheets. Any chance you would reconsider posting a Data Sheet?
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2023 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by rdftwo rdftwo wrote:

Now I need one of you guy who possesses crazy internet wizardry skills to help me find out about Maj Moegle(y). I can't tell if there is a Y on the end of the name or not. Please help as I have always wondered about this guy.

Sometimes the internet will do the work for you. Email from a possible family member.

"I would like to let you know that the name Moeglein is correct.  His full name is Chester James Moeglein, Major General with the US Army during WWII and Korea.  He was my first cousin once removed.  His father Charles Joseph Moeglein was my granduncle.  Charles' parents, George Frederick Moeglein and Christina Wilhelmina Schmidt, are my great grandparents.  He was born in Little Falls, Morrison County, Minnesota."

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/19152298/chester-james-moeglein

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/Inland5017Grave.jpg
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2023 at 4:59pm
awesome!!!!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2023 at 9:33pm
Found some more of the Generals Guns in Central Minnesota

Small Arms Review did a article about the Minnesota Military Museum. The museum is dedicated to preserving the Military history of the State of Minnesota. 
It's located near the center of the State at Camp Ripley.

Of interest, Per the Author they have on display: 
"Several pistols I saw were interesting and unusual. One, a 1911 with adjustable sights, was the "personal weapon" of Major General Chester J. Moeglein. Another Colt, a 1903 in .32 ACP, was also donated by General Moeglein" 

Here's the Minnesota Military Museum at Camp Ripley Web Site. It has quite a few drop down windows, a video and virtual tour along with some search features that, with some time spent may give more background and a possible look at these other guns that belonged to General Moeglein.

Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply