The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Old Guy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Old Guy
    Posted: Dec 07 2021 at 4:14pm
As a younger man back in the early 90's, I bought a mixmaster Arlington import at my local gun show to use for a 4-wheeler gun. It was short, high cap, and the ammo was fairly cheap. I took it apart to clean, saw all the markings, and caught the fever. I read all the available literature at the time...war baby, Riesch's little handbook, and Jess Harrison's handbook. I never joined the old school carbine club because Jess bad mouthed it and I didn't really feel the need. I was unmarried and had some disposable income. I went to a lot of show and even went with Jess Harrison to the big Tulsa OK show a few times. I gleaned some knowledge from him...mostly how to spot fake stuff, granted the fakes then where usually amateur and unsophisticated. This was also before the internet really took off. My networking was mostly old school then but by the end the decade, I was emailing contacts and searching the great innovation known as GunBroker. I have an anal retentive and obsessive compulsive streak in me and all I wanted in my collection was "bring backs." My collection consisted of mostly 100% original guns...with provenance. The ones that were not were the ones that fooled me from the outside appearance.  Remember, that time frame was when we were loosing a lot of WWII vets and their idiot grandsons were taking pap's gun to the show. I bought a lot of them coming in the door and couldn't take the time to break them down. The ones that fooled me I usually turned over unless it was an easy and righteous looking restoration with matching finish and patina. I got married in 2004 and lost the time and disposable income to continue buying guns...which was ok by me as I will elaborate in the next paragraph.
   Throughout my short but prolific and intense collecting years. I noticed some trends. Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers ruined my hobby. The prices started to skyrocket as every idiot had to have carbine now. They got more scarce and more pricey by the year. This brought out the fakers, counterfeiters and liars. Repop parts were everywhere...mostly out of Minnesota. Anyone remember him? Honestly, they were easy to spot...then. Then came cartouche stamps. Slow at first but then every POS stock had a perfect deep stamp. Jesse Harrison's handbook had a clear overlay sheet of the manufacturer's cartouches and he had mentioned to me once that all a counterfeiter had to do was copy his overlay to make stamps. I once sent a stock to Jess to be lightly cleaned. When it came back, there was a Standard Products cartouche that I had not noticed before. He stated he had discovered it under all the dirt and grim that was on the stock. I quickly distanced myself from him after that. I think it was a very early attempt on his part to manufacture the stamps. I don't know if he became the start of that trend or if someone else beat him to the punch. He passed a few years ago. A few years later I noticed people selling those damn stamps on Ebay. I had had enough by then and I was dating a beautiful woman, which took my time and money.
  Why am I here now? I have three teenage daughters and I will soon need college money. I think my stewardship is starting to end and I will never again have my previous passion. I am here to network and advertise. I am here to build trust. I never was nor wished to be on the carbine collector world's radar, and I believe that was a mistake now. Please allow me to participate and make a few friends. I plan to in the near future offer up some primo guns for sale. I don't really like the Gunbroker route with the sales tax and auction fees added. I paid a premium price at the time for a worthy rifle, so they will not be cheap. I will fully disclose any restoration parts. These will be very few as I did not really like restoring guns and searching for parts...it was such pain finding real parts with original and appropriate finish.
 My knowledge is dated now; I'm sure new facts and info has been presented in the last 18 years of which I am unaware. I do think I might have a few nuggets that is not common knowledge to share.
Regards,
Ron
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2021 at 4:50pm
Harrison was probably one of the worst people when it came to carbines. A lot of his information was incorrect and a lot of correct carbines were "corrected according to Harrison". His cartouche overlays are not all correct either. Even when he was presented with correct information, his later books remained uncorrected. I hate to speak ill of the dead, but using his book is about the worst thin a beginner can do.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
rdftwo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2021 at 5:36pm
I tried to steer people clear of that book many times but some people take it as gospel. Once I met a guy at a show with it and an old copy of Riesch's book. I showed him the time frame for QHMC rifles manufacturing and then showed him the Harrison page for QHMC model of 1944. Over the head or through the ears, I don't know which. The cartouche template was a little oversized and "thick". That's how you easily spot the fake stamps. Also I saw the gun that he used for the model of the Underwood cartouche. I think I remember it as the Underwood. I cant's check because I threw book out long ago. I must have had better eyes because the stamp was righteous but had bounced slightly when struck. That's why he got the top flame on the belt rather than the top of the belt. After that I took everything with the proverbial grain of salt. I remained cordial but never traded or trusted again. The relationship quickly faded to nothing in the late 90's I got to examine many fine examples in his collection which was impressive. After his death, I have no idea how they were dispersed
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2021 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by rdftwo rdftwo wrote:

Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers ruined my hobby. The prices started to skyrocket as every idiot had to have carbine now.

Welcome, Ron! Glad to have you.

I can certainly sympathize with your bitterness towards the Band of Brothers series and Saving Private Ryan for causing the carbine market to balloon, but I think those films have quite possibly been the best thing to happen to the hobby. It's incredibly unfortunate, but children these days are losing touch with American history-- many of them have no idea when or why the Second World War was even fought. The aforementioned movies -even twenty years after their initial release- provide a vehicle for this and future generations to learn about the tremendous sacrifice our father's and grandfathers made in order that evil would not prevail. I thoroughly enjoy reading nonfiction books on the war (encyclopedias and things of that sort), but I found Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and The Pacific really brought history to life for me... allowing me to experience it in a very intimate way.

I think anyone who has an interest and appreciation for these firearms ought to be able to own one, and anything that's responsible for arousing a passion in the hobby is a good and commendable thing.

Edited by Pro Libertate - Dec 08 2021 at 12:25am
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 6:15am

I tried to steer people clear of that book many times but some people take it as gospel. Once I met a guy at a show with it and an old copy of Riesch's book. I showed him the time frame for QHMC rifles manufacturing and then showed him the Harrison page for QHMC model of 1944. Over the head or through the ears, I don't know which. The cartouche template was a little oversized and "thick". That's how you easily spot the fake stamps. Also I saw the gun that he used for the model of the Underwood cartouche. I think I remember it as the Underwood. I cant's check because I threw book out long ago. I must have had better eyes because the stamp was righteous but had bounced slightly when struck. That's why he got the top flame on the belt rather than the top of the belt. After that I took everything with the proverbial grain of salt. I remained cordial but never traded or trusted again. The relationship quickly faded to nothing in the late 90's I got to examine many fine examples in his collection which was impressive. After his death, I have no idea how they were dispersed

Jesse's personal collection was sold off by R&G Hunting Optics in OK.

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 6:55am

rdftwo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 7:04am
You make a point well taken.  I reread my post and it does come off as bitter.  I guess when I was used to buying "cheap" (didn't seem cheap at the time), the quick inflation put me out of the market for many righteous guns. I remember thinking several times that I would never get out it what I paid for it.
rdftwo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 7:10am
I didn't realize it had been that long ago. Do you remember a particular rifle that was completely rust toasted above the wood line? I have a cool story about that gun. Alice was such a sweet woman. She was kind to me without ever having met me before.
rdftwo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 7:12am
How do I include the previous member's post in my reply to keep my reply in context?
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 7:20am

How do I include the previous member's post in my reply to keep my reply in context?

Click the 'Quote' button at the right above their post.
rdftwo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 8:39am
Originally posted by ncin1911 ncin1911 wrote:

rdftwo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 11:49am

[/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll get better at this
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 12:20pm

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll get better at this
[/QUOTE]

The more you use the site, the easier it gets! Just wait til you go to post your first picture! *LOL*
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

[QUOTE=rdftwo]
Just wait til you go to post your first picture! *LOL*

Oh, yes... you're in for a treat! Just make sure you have a stiff drink handy.

Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 2:59pm

The more you use the site, the easier it gets! Just wait til you go to post your first picture! *LOL*

That gave me flashbacks to me trying to post my first picture. Oh the horror.
rdftwo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

That gave me flashbacks to me trying to post my first picture. Oh the horror.

Now y'all got me worried about eventually posting oodles of pictures...please bare with me
rdftwo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Pro Libertate Pro Libertate wrote:

Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

[QUOTE=rdftwo]
Just wait til you go to post your first picture! *LOL*

Oh, yes... you're in for a treat! Just make sure you have a stiff drink handy.

Plenty of homemade bourbon on hand
 Post Reply Post Reply