Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Club Requests and Member Submissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History Of Gastonia Cut M1 Carbines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quanjito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History Of Gastonia Cut M1 Carbines
    Posted: Nov 13 2021 at 4:03am
This is the Story of William Edward Anthony Sr.  A Man of many and I do mean many interests. His story and the story of tens of thousands of cut M1 Carbines starts when his father passed away. Ed Anthony or Big Ed as we all knew him was sharp as a tack when it came to business. He and his brother inhereted a Farm from their father when he passed and Ed would sell Shotguns and Rifles around the Gaston County Area of NC to high end hunters and collectors. Gastonia during this time was a much smaller place and more rural and Ed would do this as a side hobby. He was a veteran of the US Navy and a mechanical engineer who had an interest in firearms. He was able to take his inheretance and purchase property in different areas of Gaston county in which he would rent out. One of these properties was a Flea market he opened up on 74 heading towards Kings Mountain NC. Through his many travels he would run across firearms and buy and sell them. In the late 1950's Ed had heard about the burgeoning market of scrapping guns by the US Military. Attending several events, Ed would end up in Charleston SC and Anniston Alabama. Back then, you had to bid on scrapping material for the military. So Ed Put in his but and he won several train car loads of M1 carbines, Garands, M14's, and other firearms to be destroyed. The trick to it though was they would pile the guns up in piles and with a VERY Large torch cut down a line with the guns on top being cut the most and the guns on the bottom remaining unscathed. In this way he would retain about 1 in 20 guns that were spared the torch although some did have some heating issues. He then had them loaded onto a Rail car with a big magnet from the scrap yard (This is why so many barrels were bent), and had them sent up to NC. Once they arrived, he had them trucked over to his Farm and Dairy which he inhereted and he would store them in the several buildings on the farm. There was a large barn, A Dairy shop where he sold Milkshakes and the lot, Several Block building with one converted to machine shop. Ed had this Black guy named Benny who worked for him, he would Task Benny to help him strip the parts off of the demilled guns and would match the correct parts up on the guns that were not cut. Thus was the beginning of Linwood Shooter Supply because he lived on his farm on Linwood Rd. in Gastonia NC. He would sell for many years and even added more parts from other Military Scrap sells over the years. He listed in the Rifleman, Shotgun News and several other periodicals during those years and well into the eighties. All in all, well over ten thousand M1 carbines would be completed by Ed, along with this, he rebuilt BAR's, 1919's, M2 50's, Antitank rifles, bazookas, mortars and many more weapons. This is part one of this story, I will tell another part a little later. I hope this helps many of you who have weapons from this part.
I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees,

Zappata
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2021 at 9:56am

We did Ed's Obituary in CCNL 318-2

Ed helped the club with information that was really helpful early on.

There is a lot more to the story!

quanjito View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quanjito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2021 at 10:24am
Indeed there is, although I thought many people in the area would like to know where there rifle most likely came from. Who the players were and the like. I only give names of people who have passed away out of respect for them and to keep people from bothering them. There was a serious industry in an underground way in Gaston county that revolved around rebuilding and building guns. It is an interesting history.
I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees,

Zappata
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2021 at 12:00pm
Looking forward to more of this fascinating story....
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image